Gear recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about taking TDSA's AR-15 Rifle Level 1 class in March and need some specific gear recommendations. I am looking for specific brands, styles, and why you like it. I understand everyone has their own preferences but I would like to know what they are and why. Your recommendations may help me buy once, cry once :)

Magazine carrier? (vest, harness, pouch, ??)

Rifle sling? (single or double point, attachment type, position on rifle)

Knee pads? Elbow pads? (brands, fits)

Best place to buy local in Tulsa?

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the class in November. A shooting mat and a magazine carrier are all you really need. I picked up a Safariland Model 774 Rifle Magazine Pouch from Charles @ SHC. http://www.safehomeconsulting.com

Are you planning on shooting with iron sights or an optic?

I have "iron" sights and and an Aimpoint CompML3 2MOA.

I just reviewed all the pictures from the November class. It does seem like some of the gear recommendations are more appropriate for the Level 2 class.

ParatusForty-Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check the recommendations on the Courses page of Marshal's website.

An aside for all shooting classes: Preloaded magazines never hurt on high-round-count classes. Fill an ammo can with them, if necessary. You'll save yourself some note taking time while everyone else is loading mags. Eat lunch quickly, then top up your empties for the afternoon's festivities.

Be sure to keep a few empties for the occasional standards drill, etc., that you can top up to the required round count.

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the recommendations on the Courses page of Marshal's website.

An aside for all shooting classes: Preloaded magazines never hurt on high-round-count classes. Fill an ammo can with them, if necessary. You'll save yourself some note taking time while everyone else is loading mags. Eat lunch quickly, then top up your empties for the afternoon's festivities.

Be sure to keep a few empties for the occasional standards drill, etc., that you can top up to the required round count.

The recommendations on his site for this class are the same as for Level 2 and not all of them seem to be applicable for the Level 1 class when viewing the pictures and hearing about peoples' experiences. That is one of the reasons for this post. I don't want to go buy knee/elbow pads if they aren't even used in this class.

I am also interested in why people prefer one sling over another and which style of magazine carrier would be most useful. I prefer not to have a box full of slings and magazine holders in my quest to find what works well for me.

Preloaded magazines is about the only thing that doesn't concern me.

I appreciate the replies. Is there a forum that might be better for getting more responses?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a simple belt mounted single magazine carrier like the Safariland, one or two will be fine. Knee pads and elbow pads aren't really necessary unless they will make you more comfortable shooting from the prone, seated, kneeling, and standing positions. SKD Tactical carries the Alta band which aren't terribly expensive but set from Home Depot might work, too. A shooting mat was nice mostly to keep from getting wet from the morning dew on the grass. The shooting techniques taught during class do not depend on a sling for support which is why it isn't totally necessary to have one. There was some discussion of sling types during the classroom portion of the class. The VTAC sling and BFG Vickers sling seem to be popular choices.

I think less is more when it comes to bringing gear with you to this class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom