Gen 5 Glocks at Big Boys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock has sold 15 million pistols. I don't think they are concerned that they are "behind the curve". None of the supposed Glock killers can sniff those numbers. People will always hate on them.

Back on topic, I'm really excited to try out a Gen 5. It looks good to go out of the box. I won't even have to change the sights on it. I am curious about the ejection on them if anyone has any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well....

Anyway, does the stupid placement of the useless cutouts meant for pulling the mags out screw up the feel of the grip? I'd hate if it does because Glock felt like being a unique snowflake by putting them in a spot nobody else does.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well....

Anyway, does the stupid placement of the useless cutouts meant for pulling the mags out screw up the feel of the grip? I'd hate if it does because Glock felt like being a unique snowflake by putting them in a spot nobody else does.

It doesn't for me. I'm so used to my Gen 2's that it just feels natural.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tested both the 19 & 17 Gen 5 within a few hours of their official launch at 2A in Tulsa. The Gen-5 “19” in particular will be a welcome update for guys having larger than normal paws. My fingers rode “on” the points rather than “in” the finger groves on Gen-3 & 4 19/23/32s. The trigger felt a little better but not great “to me”. Without finger groves my natural inch high left drift with the 19 has completely disappeared. To me that’s its biggest selling point, most folks won’t have this problem but to me it was a big improvement. Please, before anyone chimes in on my shooting left with Glock medium framed pistols; I understand how and why it was an issue, made it work and I only had it with those models. I also think the updated trigger & plunger may have helped a little too. HK, FN, Colt Sig etc. don’t do that for me. Of course that begs the question, why not carry something from one of those vendors instead? Well, I did carry a USP C 9mm for a long time but have slowly converted to preferring striker fire rather than double single. The 19 fills a pretty specific role I think is critical. Small enough to carry but large enough to actually use. It’s also what I’ve proven “to myself anyway” to be the largest thing I’ll “actually” carry rather than leave in the car. That’s pretty damn important! Glock has a design so simple you don’t need an armorer or any advanced skillset to replace anything on it which is also a huge deal to me. I absolutely love the HK VP9 but it’s just a hair to large for me to put up with for EDC and the VP9 SK is too damn small. That’s exactly where the 19 shines. Folks can love them, hate them or be like me somewhere between but they can’t say they aren’t incredibly effective. The gen 5 has far more to do with the FBI contract RFP than it does giving the masses what they want so people really shouldn’t get all wrapped as to why there aren’t radical new changes that revolutionize the industry. My opinion is just that… some guy with an opinion so take it for what it’s worth, everyone has one LOL.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, well put. We all have opinions, and it's nice to have so many good choices in handguns too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom