Gen 5 Glocks at Big Boys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I couldn't hold out any longer. I got a Gen 5 19 but really wish they were out in .40 caliber. Here it is next to my Gen 2 23 and Gen 2 22. 20170907_141209.jpg 20170907_141141.jpg

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me personally? 1 surefire 1 Pryocon but that doesn't matter... it was enough of a problem for LEOs and non-operators that Streamlight commented on their website about it. Not to mention you can google several guys having issues. I believe some LE depts turned theirs in because of it.

http://www.streamlight.com/resources/learning/frequently-asked-questions
Seems the 4th gen recoil system fixed the issue though, but I sold my 3G G22.
So sample size one. Personal experiences are what matters. If I'm using a pen and it effs up on me, I don't stop writing to see what the cool writers are using on the ink and pen forums, gather up internet knowledge and strategize my next move, I just get another pen that works properly and keep writing.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take it from a newer gun owner: I never even considered buying a Glock because of how behind the curve they are when compared to essentially any other brand. What does Glock have going for it other than its name? Reliability and simplicity that supposedly no other company can match? Lol, other brands have models which are proven as reliable and without thumb safeties. I mean, Glock did lose the military contract because it received a lower grade in reliability than the Sig P320, among other things.

Sure, you can take it from a newer gun owner OR, you can take it from a guy who is not a newer gun owner and who has been handling and shooting a wide variety of firearms for many years...Glock is nowhere near "behind the curve" so to speak. Now, I do not mean to denigrate the opinions of the "newer gun owner group", but real world experience in pretty much anything should and does seem to count. The bottom line on choosing a handgun is to select the firearm that you personally like, and can shoot well. For many, that may be a Glock. For others, a S&W M&P, a 1911, a Beretta, a Sig...etc. etc. There is no magic or rocket science to personally selecting a handgun. I can have pretty much anything I want, and I choose to leave the house almost every day with a basic Glock 43 on my hip. Is it the best handgun there is? Nope. But then, I do have a bit of experience going for me and I know that every handgun is not only a choice made in compromises, but chock full of limitations anyway. But that G43 darn sure will get the job done if I do my part, as will any of the above. It seems to be fashionable, among new owners as well as some who fancy themselves to be "experts", to bash certain guns; Glocks in particular. Why? Because they really are the industry leader. Everyone else is playing catch up in reality. Glocks sell. The aftermarket support is YUGE. Parts are cheap and the guns are easy to maintain. And they are very, very reliable. Glocks are my choice of all the polymer choices. If you like some other polymer guns better, well, that's just fine and dandy. I am not saying that the M&P or the CZ or the XD or whatever is inferior ...I just like the way the Glock pistol works, and I shoot them pretty darn well. I also like the good old 1911, there's nothing in the world wrong with that either. I mean, there's a design I can get behind all day any day. With 1911's, we can argue all day whether we need a basic gun like the superb Ruger SR1911 or a high-dollar Wilson or Ed Brown. Or how much better a Colt is than a Springer, or (you choose what ever brand you want) is better than that. You know what? Most all of us here can't really shoot the Wilson much better than the Ruger, but if you've got the spare coin and the desire to have a Wilson, or a Baer, or a Brown...go for it. So, you Glock bashers just go on and bash. The professionals and people who have been around firearms for a good number of years already know that there is no one-gun-fits-all, and yet, many of them choose the Glock pistol over all others. There's a ton of junk on the web about Glocks going kaboom and such. Don't believe everything you read. And that's all I have to say about that.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, you can take it from a newer gun owner OR, you can take it from a guy who is not a newer gun owner and who has been handling and shooting a wide variety of firearms for many years...Glock is nowhere near "behind the curve" so to speak. Now, I do not mean to denigrate the opinions of the "newer gun owner group", but real world experience in pretty much anything should and does seem to count. The bottom line on choosing a handgun is to select the firearm that you personally like, and can shoot well. For many, that may be a Glock. For others, a S&W M&P, a 1911, a Beretta, a Sig...etc. etc. There is no magic or rocket science to personally selecting a handgun. I can have pretty much anything I want, and I choose to leave the house almost every day with a basic Glock 43 on my hip. Is it the best handgun there is? Nope. But then, I do have a bit of experience going for me and I know that every handgun is not only a choice made in compromises, but chock full of limitations anyway. But that G43 darn sure will get the job done if I do my part, as will any of the above. It seems to be fashionable, among new owners as well as some who fancy themselves to be "experts", to bash certain guns; Glocks in particular. Why? Because they really are the industry leader. Everyone else is playing catch up in reality. Glocks sell. The aftermarket support is YUGE. Parts are cheap and the guns are easy to maintain. And they are very, very reliable. Glocks are my choice of all the polymer choices. If you like some other polymer guns better, well, that's just fine and dandy. I am not saying that the M&P or the CZ or the XD or whatever is inferior ...I just like the way the Glock pistol works, and I shoot them pretty darn well. I also like the good old 1911, there's nothing in the world wrong with that either. I mean, there's a design I can get behind all day any day. With 1911's, we can argue all day whether we need a basic gun like the superb Ruger SR1911 or a high-dollar Wilson or Ed Brown. Or how much better a Colt is than a Springer, or (you choose what ever brand you want) is better than that. You know what? Most all of us here can't really shoot the Wilson much better than the Ruger, but if you've got the spare coin and the desire to have a Wilson, or a Baer, or a Brown...go for it. So, you Glock bashers just go on and bash. The professionals and people who have been around firearms for a good number of years already know that there is no one-gun-fits-all, and yet, many of them choose the Glock pistol over all others. There's a ton of junk on the web about Glocks going kaboom and such. Don't believe everything you read. And that's all I have to say about that.

For all you had to say, you didn't give a single reason showing how Glock, today, leads the handgun market in terms of being trend setters as opposed to followers. You've mistaken my criticism as me bashing Glock when in reality I've only said Glock now merely plays catch-up with all the other brands.

Like I said earlier, go ahead and show me your reasons for believing Glock is still a trend setter and not a follower. I don't think you can because Glock is behind the curve and has been for years. Prove me wrong. What has Glock introduced into the polymer handgun market which was successful enough to cause other brands to follow them?

Glock made polymer pistols popular with its simplicity and ruggedness, but other brands have followed suit and Glock never gave the extra push to stand out beyond their initial success. Look at other brands like Smith &a Wesson who have many new products, each offering something unique. As the saying goes: A Glock is a Glock is a Glock... and apparently they will stick to the same formula forever without taking any risks to compete in the marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
....and apparently they will stick to the same formula forever without taking any risks to compete in the marketplace.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think they are not competing? Maybe they aren't getting your money, but millions of guns sold each and every year is proof of their business model. Maybe they just don't need to change it.

Note that I'm no Glock fanboy, I think S&W's M&P is a better product but that's not to say that Glock isn't good. They replaced the S&W revolver that was on almost every LEO's hip in the entire country and for the most part are still there, so there's that...

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glock is the trendsetter has always been the trendsetter. Why do you think every other company out there has tried to copy them? Im a 1911 guy mostly but I'm not blind to what Glock has been able to do and sustain for years.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock is the trendsetter has always been the trendsetter. Why do you think every other company out there has tried to copy them? Im a 1911 guy mostly but I'm not blind to what Glock has been able to do and sustain for years.

My point is Glock has been copied because they were very successful, I haven't denied that, but they haven't done anything new to warrant them being copied further. Obviously Glock still holds a large portion of market share, but it's foolish to claim it's not less than what it used to be and they haven't done anything to reclaim it.

Merely saying Glock still remains the trend setter when they haven't actually done anything new doesn't prove anything. Show me a new trend in the market established by Glock. You can't because they haven't done it, and that's why Glock is behind the curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the Glock innovation happens in the Huge aftermarket. It really shouldn't be dismissed. Slides, barrels, triggers, springs, strikers, grip reductions, red dot sights with cowitnessed irons, holsters. There's nothing that compares to the aftermarket support for Glock.

OJPIoIR.jpg

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I EDC a glock 17, have fired literally thousands of rounds at the range with it and have 100% confidence in the gun. My earlier statement about going the way of Colt was meant to say that perceived complacency by the manufacturer with regard to expanding selection and the evolution of features in no way limits the guns marketability to the LE agencies or Military units that use them, rather fails to compete with the marketing programs of other high volume manufacturers. My EDC is a Glock, my bedside is a Sig .45 and my competition gun is a 1911, they all serve their purpose well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom