Gen 5 Glocks at Big Boys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So sample size one. Personal experiences are what matters. If I'm using a pen and it effs up on me, I don't stop writing to see what the cool writers are using on the ink and pen forums, gather up internet knowledge and strategize my next move, I just get another pen that works properly and keep writing.

That's a great story.... but it's apples to oranges, and definitely doesn't apply to me. It's interesting that you want to ignore the problems of many and want to concentrate on MY experience alone. Obviously, there was a design flaw or Glock wouldn't have fixed it with the 4th gen recoil spring.

To your analogy though.... I bought a specific brand of pen for years..... owned every model just about.... found out one day it wouldn't work in a situation when I needed it most....called the company.... they did little to support the issue..... found out that a lot of guys were have issues....didn't trust the "fixes".... wouldn't you know it one of my other pens also had issues...different model but issues nonetheless....sold all my pens except for my wife's.....moved on to a better brand of pen for writing for me. Still respect the pen, just realize that the koolaid is a little strong for the John Wick types.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the Glock innovation happens in the Huge aftermarket. It really shouldn't be dismissed. Slides, barrels, triggers, springs, strikers, grip reductions, red dot sights with cowitnessed irons, holsters. There's nothing that compares to the aftermarket support for Glock.
That's actually one of the drawbacks for me, in part. I got tired of buying all these aftermarket parts to get a glock where it should be for me. Whereas let's say I bought a FN FNS and it had an acceptable trigger, decent ergos, and nice stock sights from the factory. I find I didn't need to mess with anything in a lot of platforms out there.

Glock doesn't innovate anything anymore, hasn't for years. Honestly, who looks at this Gen 5 and goes... wow.... that's breakthrough.... now I'm sure they're great guns... but innovators? Now? at what? Took them good knows how long to come up with a single stack 9mm. They WERE the innovator in the 80s and 90s.... but the only thing they innovated since then was a brilliant business model to LEO depts. Now Sig beat them at their own game at that. The Colt comparison was spot on boys.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all you had to say, you didn't give a single reason showing how Glock, today, leads the handgun market in terms of being trend setters as opposed to followers. You've mistaken my criticism as me bashing Glock when in reality I've only said Glock now merely plays catch-up with all the other brands.

Like I said earlier, go ahead and show me your reasons for believing Glock is still a trend setter and not a follower. I don't think you can because Glock is behind the curve and has been for years. Prove me wrong. What has Glock introduced into the polymer handgun market which was successful enough to cause other brands to follow them?

Glock made polymer pistols popular with its simplicity and ruggedness, but other brands have followed suit and Glock never gave the extra push to stand out beyond their initial success. Look at other brands like Smith &a Wesson who have many new products, each offering something unique. As the saying goes: A Glock is a Glock is a Glock... and apparently they will stick to the same formula forever without taking any risks to compete in the marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much what Shadowrider and 1911Sooner and Tom and Dhargrave etc. said...Glock doesn't need to change much. They have a huge share of the market and the others are still trying to take a bite out if it. I think either you are taking me wrong or perhaps I didn't phrase it well...Whatever. As long as you stick with a good name brand pistol, and it suits your needs then you're fine. In reality, it doesn't matter that much as long as you're a happy camper. I'm not into trying to play one-up, but here's a brief point I'll make: S&W did the huge rebate on their poly line for a reason; trying to capture more market share. More people bought Shields for example than maybe bought Glock 43s for a period of time, but it was based on price more than anything else.Glocks, along with 1911s, High Powers and a few others, really have no need to change much. Take it however you like. Be safe.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take it from a newer gun owner: I never even considered buying a Glock because of how behind the curve they are when compared to essentially any other brand. What does Glock have going for it other than its name? Reliability and simplicity that supposedly no other company can match? Lol, other brands have models which are proven as reliable and without thumb safeties. I mean, Glock did lose the military contract because it received a lower grade in reliability than the Sig P320, among other things.

I'm just curious; seriously, I'm not trying to be judgmental at all...but as a new gun owner, and I'm happy that you are, what factors made you choose whatever it was that you did choose? And if I may ask, what is your preferred choice of a handgun for CCW? Does it do double duty as a nightstand or home defense gun,or do you have something else for that? In the winter, I will often tuck a G19 inside my waist and I'm quite happy with that lying close to hand on my nightstand too.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For many years I said I would never own a block....but I did. And I respect them for the functional tool they are. They didn't fit my hand so went by the wayside. I looked seriously at a Gen 5 because it felt good in hand. But, I went another route for a compact because I also liked it. They are a great tool and serious plastic for anyone that likes to customize. The one I picked also has some things about it people don't like but it suits me better. I'll never bash a glock (or most any other brand,)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much what Shadowrider and 1911Sooner and Tom and Dhargrave etc. said...Glock doesn't need to change much. They have a huge share of the market and the others are still trying to take a bite out if it. I think either you are taking me wrong or perhaps I didn't phrase it well...Whatever. As long as you stick with a good name brand pistol, and it suits your needs then you're fine. In reality, it doesn't matter that much as long as you're a happy camper. I'm not into trying to play one-up, but here's a brief point I'll make: S&W did the huge rebate on their poly line for a reason; trying to capture more market share. More people bought Shields for example than maybe bought Glock 43s for a period of time, but it was based on price more than anything else.Glocks, along with 1911s, High Powers and a few others, really have no need to change much. Take it however you like. Be safe.

S&W didn't run a rebate to get market share from Glock.... they already owned the single stack 9mm market. S&W had sold nearly 1 million shields not long after Glock released the 43 so they were well ahead of the game. They did that because it was a soft market after the election, so I was told. Notice everyone came out with a rebate of their own after that. In terms of buying for price, it could be said the sales of glock for a long time was predicated upon it's cheaper price to LEO depts. and it's program to said LEO depts. More power to them, it was brilliant. But that theory of sales resulting from pricing goes both ways.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After all that noise I heard in the thread about the cop arresting the nurse...I just don't have the energy to get into another pointless debate. Shields, and the whole M&P's are fine guns. I even own one. I just prefer the Glocks personally.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock is the trendsetter has always been the trendsetter. Why do you think every other company out there has tried to copy them? Im a 1911 guy mostly but I'm not blind to what Glock has been able to do and sustain for years.
What company marketed the first polymer-framed, striker-fired, double stack, hi-capacity (18 rounds) 9mm pistol? Not trying to start an argument here, but who copied whom first?:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom