General Quote for an old mint condition shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GolfWhiskey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello OSA,

A good friend of mine's grandad passed away last week and in his closet he found an old Browning A5 that was purchased from Sears way back in the early 80s, maybe the 70s. It's in perfect condition and we're about 99% sure it was never fired. My friend's grandad was a bit of a hoarder and always bought stuff when it went on sale. I have no idea how much this would be worth as I have very limited knowledge of these special edition shotguns and how rare / common they are.

Could I trouble you experts to weigh in on its value? My friend isn't a gun person so if it's not worth all that much, I'll just offer to buy it from him to keep as a memento (his grandad was like a second grandad to me) but if it's worth more, I'll advise him to find a buyer. Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Pics available in the album below.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That one in the picture was made in 1973
I had one that was that nice and was from 1957 and a 16 gauge Sweet 16.

I took it to Big Boys and traded even up for a Savage heavy barrel 308 with 24" barrel and accutrigger.
That was a few years ago and i would bet you could do the same today

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well... 1) it's a Belgian made Auto-5. 2) It's in outstanding condition. 3) It's the light version that seems to be everybody's preference.

My bet is that with the original paperwork and in that condition, it'll go north of $1500 on Gunbroker but who the heck knows? It may shoot to the moon like a similarly conditioned JM stamped Marlin 336 regular old 30-30 did recently that went for over $10k. People are crazy there.

I think it's worth $1100 to $1300 all day long but I like the old Brownings too (ETA: This is for a shooter gun. A collector will likely pay more). I wouldn't take a penny less than $1100 and I'd be looking to get more if I could.

Latest posts

Top Bottom