General Quote for an old mint condition shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello OSA,

A good friend of mine's grandad passed away last week and in his closet he found an old Browning A5 that was purchased from Sears way back in the early 80s, maybe the 70s. It's in perfect condition and we're about 99% sure it was never fired. My friend's grandad was a bit of a hoarder and always bought stuff when it went on sale. I have no idea how much this would be worth as I have very limited knowledge of these special edition shotguns and how rare / common they are.

Could I trouble you experts to weigh in on its value? My friend isn't a gun person so if it's not worth all that much, I'll just offer to buy it from him to keep as a memento (his grandad was like a second grandad to me) but if it's worth more, I'll advise him to find a buyer. Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
If like new condition Id guess 1200-1800 depending barrel length choke and the buyer.
That one in the picture was made in 1973
I had one that was that nice and was from 1957 and a 16 gauge Sweet 16.

I took it to Big Boys and traded even up for a Savage heavy barrel 308 with 24" barrel and accutrigger.
That was a few years ago and i would bet you could do the same today
You should have called the police cuz you got robbed on that trade. A 1957 Browning Sweet 16 in the condition your saying buys 3 or 4 Savage heavy barrel 308 rifles a few years ago or today. Oh let me guess your MacGyver barrel cutting instincts took over and you would have rather cut on the Savage.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
TGV has the used avg (not trade-in) at ~$850. New avg ~$1900. Looks like the used market is all over the place, but it seems condition and original packaging will swing a price in the hundreds of dollars at a time.

I agree with @OKRuss, you could probably ask $1200+ and go from there.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should have called the police cuz you got robbed on that trade. A 1957 Browning Sweet 16 in the condition your saying buys 3 or 4 Savage heavy barrel 308 rifles a few years ago or today. Oh let me guess your MacGyver barrel cutting instincts took over and you would have rather cut on the Savage.

I must not know the people you know that will give 1800 for a browning shotgun.
You must know those rich folks.
I tried for a few months to sell it for $800 and Zero takers.
Yep I ended up cutting that Savage 24" barrel and it became much more accurate.

I hunt with my rifles and shotguns and not on some pristine place where they never get scratched.
I did not want to put any scratches on that Browning so for me to even own it would be owning something I could not hunt with where I hunt.

I had $90 bucks in that shotgun.
I traded a transmission I had $250 into for that Browning and another rifle (.22) and a scope and sold the rifle and scope.
It was on the shelf at Big Boys for a few months at $650

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The op can confirm if the gun is unfired by looking at the bolt face. I bought a sweet 16 that was claimed to be unfired at an estate auction. The bolt face was pristine with no markings or brass residue on it.
Fired the first shot and the brass of the shell base was imprinted on the bolt face.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with most of the statements. Gun by itself is in the $1200 plus range. Things that hurt A5 value: longer than 28" barrel, full choke, no box, cracked forearm where it meets the receiver (very common). I would recommend he keep it. It will only appreciate in value.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shotgun is a great piece and also has sentimental value to you. Your friend isn't a gun guy, buy it from your friend for a fair price; otherwise it will likely go to someone that doesn't understand its value.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sold 4 at a Tulsa show last spring 2021
1 magnum in same condition and 3 light twelves that were used very little.
Market is soft from all the old guys dying and families selling their stuff.
Got 900 for mag and 750-800 for light 12's Hope you can do better.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sold 4 at a Tulsa show last spring 2021
1 magnum in same condition and 3 light twelves that were used very little.
Market is soft from all the old guys dying and families selling their stuff.
Got 900 for mag and 750-800 for light 12's Hope you can do better.
I concur

In your position, with the sentimental value, I would pay $800 and offer to take him shooting. Spending the day talking about Granddad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom