Generator Box for my shop building done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Needed a good gas generator that I could use to power my small shop building and to be moved to my house in case of ice storm or other power outage. Having a electrician hook up the sub panel so I can make sure I'm blocked from a back feed. Also it will have an 50 amp rv outside female plug so I just plug in. I've done a hillbilly estimate of what I can run my house on and I think I can run the entire pig (hooves and all....ha). I'll do a test using priority feeds till I get to a breaker pop. I've made sure everything in our home is energy efficient, so that helps.
My shop has a small window AC and two electric oil filled heaters if I need them in the winter but my estimates are one will be more than enough. The great think is my Generator is remote start and has a 12 hour run time at full hotel load. That is a 50 amp fuse feeding two individual 20 amp breakers. One will feed the AC, heating and lights only and the other will feed the numerous plug boxes I'll have.

Attachments

• Box 1.JPG
    Box 1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 113
  • Box 2.JPG
    Box 2.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 111

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
May want to look into duel fuel propane for that genny. Went full propane with mine . Burns a lot cleaner and easier/safer to store . I have 3- 20 lb and 2- 30 lb bottles. Was going to get a 100lb until I had a friend give the 2 30's to me.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May want to look into duel fuel propane for that genny. Went full propane with mine . Burns a lot cleaner and easier/safer to store . I have 3- 20 lb and 2- 30 lb bottles. Was going to get a 100lb until I had a friend give the 2 30's to me.
I was raised on a home that had a huge butane tank. I have a buddy that owns one he was going to give me and I thought that would be a great SHTF option. I do have natural gas to my house but only the Hot water heater and fireplace use it. I though about buying a cooking stove, hot water heater, blue flame wall heaters and generator "big one" that I could tie to the existing line in the home. Of course everything would have to be adapted to use that Propane/butane. I would store everything except the tank. Have a spot picked out in my back yard that I could decorate to make the wife happy and a truck could get to down my alley to fill.
I would keep it completely full. Propane last forever. I'd make sure it's set on a pad to protect the feet from rust. It would be critical to have a high quality tank as large as you can get so you can fill it when price is down. It will still be there and full when you need it.
Sounds good, and if I was younger, I'd do it. Right not I'm just looking for a isolated place in the deep woods outside of town (nothing but a couple of acres) that the wife and I could jump to if needed. Lots of natural springs where I would buy and the spring water is outstanding and clean. That's where I'd put the tank and as big of a tank I could afford. I'd use it when I just wanted to be in the woods and it's easier to make a small place (literally one room) run on propane than converting a 3 bedroom home. Ha.
I know how to make do there. Just a few acres would be enough for enough garden for canning and it's full of game/fish here. That would be my go to place at my age. Plus I'd love it.
Before someone says anything about keeping wild hogs and game out of the garden, I've raised hogs and a little bob wire under the ground will keep their snouts sore enough to stay out. Ha. Folks here know how to keep the wild hogs out. It's done all the time.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steelfingers, do you have a Cuter-Hammer breaker box? If the main switch is on the bottom this may work for you to stop back feeding. I broke off a couple of the bolts and the company sent me a new one. No cost to you or if someone else wants it, I'll send it along. It retails for $69.00 or so on Amazon.

• Generator Interlock Kit compatible with Eaton Cutler Hammer Challenger BR-200 150 and 200 AMP Panel,1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches Spacing between main and branch breaker

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steelfingers, do you have a Cuter-Hammer breaker box? If the main switch is on the bottom this may work for you to stop back feeding. I broke off a couple of the bolts and the company sent me a new one. No cost to you or if someone else wants it, I'll send it along. It retails for $69.00 or so on Amazon.

• Generator Interlock Kit compatible with Eaton Cutler Hammer Challenger BR-200 150 and 200 AMP Panel,1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches Spacing between main and branch breaker
Mines on top and an easton. Thanks though. That was a very nice thing to offer. I appreciate it

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't put propane in a butane tank unless the tank is rated for the correct vapor pressure. i could be wrong here so seek a better source. just don't want to see anyone get burned.
No. I just meant I grew up in a home that had a large Butane tank that fed the house. Loved watching them fill the tank. Back then you could sit on them when the filled them and man it would get cold. Also, when the fumes escaped during tapping or untapping, a million of those large flies and horse flies would appear out of no where.
No, when I get the thing in the woods, it will be a Propane exclusive because of the lasting power of the fuel. You could keep that stuff till judgment day and still make a nice home for the saints to kickback in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom