Generator Box for my shop building done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you for the exhaust?
I would never put my generator inside the envelop of my house including a garage. I used a 1" fitting to go over the factory exhaust tube from the factory muffler. Has a screw to firm it up to the factory exhaust pipe. Screwed in a 1" pipe that fits with the factory exhaust cover on. It runs long enough to exit the enclosure about 1' 6" where I have an elbow and a 1 foot pipe that takes the exhaust to my back yard and not at my privacy fence. I also have a double flue pipe that extends from inside the box to outside the box with covers that I have screwed together to keep the pipe set and not moving from the vibration. It also meets the suggestion of a one inch clearance around flue.
the 1 inch attached exhaust pipe fits in the middle of the flue interior pipe and for good measure I put steel scrub pads (have no idea what they are called but they are all metal and look like metal shavings all put together) around the pipe and the flue for good measure. I also added a bug screen on the end of the flue (outside) held down with the round screw tightening clamps on the pipe and flue to keep bugs out.
I have mine where the exhaust is far enough away from my fence but better to put the elbow in because of my ocd.
Don't forget to leave the spark inhibitor in so you don't start a fire but I've never seen one do it and I've ran my lawn mowers with straight exhaust forever. Never even heard of one starting a fire but that a thing cause by California. Just make sure it's not aimed at your windows or under you foundation. CM is not a good thing.
Thought I'd add this. The sheetrock will not make the generator quiet enough that you could tell. They're made loud and they will stay loud. Such is life.
I put it up to strengthen the plastic enclosure and not spend a ton of money. It's solid as a rock right now so high winds will no have an issue particularly when I bolt it to the cement pad I will be pouring this week. I'll be adding several I bolts that will be sunk in the pad as well to run a strong chain through to lock and encourage people not to be a thief. Yep, if someone wants it they will get it but most wont have a bolt cutter until they steal one........Ha. Just a deterrent and it is a good quality chain not an over kill logging chain.
Well as you can see, my 4th cup of coffee has me a bit long in the keyboard. Sorry.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I open the boxes all the way and put a small piece of metal tilted again the inside of the box. I run cord through a window and duct tape over the opening to keep fumes out of the house. That has worked so far. Also being on the SW corner of the house there usually direct wind on that corner. We do have several carbon monoxide detectors in the house.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm working on accomplishing this same thing but 1 many other things to do and 2 $ handicapped my wants wishes go on layaway or a piece at a time. I'll get it done by winter though come ell or high water.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a neighbor who buys the harbor freight generators and uses them as power to pump water in remote areas. he told me once that when he started this practice a few years ago he could buy several generators from them for the price of one elsewhere. he also told me that since the harbor freight gens were so cheap he thought that they wouldn't last long so he bought two at once but was still saving money. then he told me that his first one was still running just fine five years later. so that could be an alternative IF they are still cheap???

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was going to get a 100lb until I had a friend give the 2 30's to me.

You're probably better off without the 100 lb if you're using it at home. We use two 100lbs on our food truck and they won't fill them if you just show up with them in the back of an SUV. They have to be mounted on the exterior of a vehicle or trailer. (I'm not sure if the back of a pickup would count for that or not since I don't have a pickup.)

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
something to consider about the bottles and the 100 lbs bottles. if you tip them over they will deliver liquid instead of vapor and can cause quite a fire. i have seen trailer house fires caused by the kids tipping a bottle over then the little woman lights the stove or the furnace kicks on and liquid propane comes out where vapor is supposed to be.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May want to look into duel fuel propane for that genny. Went full propane with mine . Burns a lot cleaner and easier/safer to store . I have 3- 20 lb and 2- 30 lb bottles. Was going to get a 100lb until I had a friend give the 2 30's to me.
What size generator?
i was thinking about going with propane before I decided on natural gas. I have a 20kw permanently whole house generator.The issue I ran into was the size of tank I needed to run the generator and I wanted to bury the tank due to our covenants.
The calculations I read were related to the gas flow vs tank size vs. tank pressure. As the flow rate increases from the tank, the tank pressure drecreases due to cooling. The larger the tank, the less cooling takes place.
If the tank cools too fast there will not be enough pressure to run the genny.
Just curious if you have experienced any issues around cooling and the tank pressure with the smaller bottles.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
What size generator?
i was thinking about going with propane before I decided on natural gas. I have a 20kw permanently whole house generator.The issue I ran into was the size of tank I needed to run the generator and I wanted to bury the tank due to our covenants.
The calculations I read were related to the gas flow vs tank size vs. tank pressure. As the flow rate increases from the tank, the tank pressure drecreases due to cooling. The larger the tank, the less cooling takes place.
Just curious if you have experienced any issues around cooling and the tank pressure with the smaller bottles.
I have a 5500 watt generac. It will run the AC , fridge, freezer , lights and entertainment. It works well for what we have to have. No dryer and no power tools , no power tools means I have to talk to my wife!! ................... Hmmm how much was that 20kw gen??? :cool:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What size generator?
You need a diesel generator 😀 lasts forever with proper storage

Latest posts

Top Bottom