Generator Box for my shop building done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5500 watt generac. It will run the AC , fridge, freezer , lights and entertainment. It works well for what we have to have. No dryer and no power tools , no power tools means I have to talk to my wife!! ................... Hmmm how much was that 20kw gen??? :cool:
I think I paid about $3k for the generator several years back and about $500 to have the automatic transfer switch installed and that was with the house prewired from where the genset is installed to the panel. I also had a cutoff panel installed to disconnect the meter, even though the ATS does the disconnect as well.
I had a lighting strike about 50 yards from the house a few years ago and had the board in the ATS and the generator replaced under warranty due to both being burned up. Other than that, it seems to work fine. Luckily we seldom loose power due to being on the same lines as the rural water treatment facility that is about a 1/2 mile away.

Not the exact unit, but close:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-200...rator-with-Automatic-Transfer-Switch/50029446

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I paid about $3k for the generator several years back and about $500 to have the automatic transfer switch installed and that was with the house prewired from where the genset is installed to the panel. I also had a cutoff panel installed to disconnect the meter, even though the ATS does the disconnect as well.
I had a lighting strike about 50 yards from the house a few years ago and had the board in the ATS and the generator replaced under warranty due to both being burned up. Other than that, it seems to work fine. Luckily we seldom loose power due to being on the same lines as the rural water treatment facility that is about a 1/2 mile away.

Not the exact unit, but close:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-200...rator-with-Automatic-Transfer-Switch/50029446
I looked hard at those at either home depot of lowe's. How long can you run them before you have to let them rest or how long can you run them continuous?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked hard at those at either home depot of lowe's. How long can you run them before you have to let them rest or how long can you run them continuous?
My mother has a Generac Guardian 14kw whole house genset and it ran 24/7 for nine days straight during the last icemageddon. Well...I shut it down for a few minutes to check the oil each day and changed it once in that stretch when it hit 200 hours runtime (Amsoil full synthetic), but it was continuous operation. I tell you what I was getting dang tired of filling up gas cans every dang day to run my portables at my own house, only running about 12-14 hours I was going through about 6 gallons a day. I highly recommend a dedicated setup if you can swing it!

OBTW, her gas bill only went up a few dollars on her averaging plan. I thought her bill would be a lot higher than it was but her total gas usage was only like $175 over normal for that month. Not like TX at all!

Latest posts

Top Bottom