Generator Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I’m looking for help with setting up a generator to run on natural gas. I’ve purchased a generator that runs on propane and gas from factory. Prefer to run on natural gas since I have it already at the house. From what I understand will need gas connection and generator conversion. Please let me know if anyone here has experience with this and willing to help or can recommend someone. Thanks Drew

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would have to find a conversion kit that will fit your particular generator. As far as running it off NG, you would have to have a plumber come out and split a line off of your inlet line. That could cause the need for a different meter depending on the amount of gas being used. I have a portable Champion Power Equipment generator that runs off gas. I found a conversion for it but haven’t done it yet. It’s not that hard. If it were me I would want a stand-alone generator if I was gonna use NG.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those aftermarket natural gas kits are somewhat expensive and not much to them. There is a regulator which is most important and a hose with what looks like a carburetor gasket. The gasket thing goes of course on the carburetor and the hose is attached to the regulator. The regulator has to be adjusted once the gas line is connected via a brass screw. The regulator is a Garretson and I've seen them on Ebay for around $35.00. It's really a simple setup and I don't know why the companies that sell them charge so much. I epoxied the nozzle to a different position according to what I needed and then I the company sent me a new gasket/hose anyway. PM me if you need anything regarding the information etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0858 2.JPG
    IMG_0858 2.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 30

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would have to find a conversion kit that will fit your particular generator. As far as running it off NG, you would have to have a plumber come out and split a line off of your inlet line. That could cause the need for a different meter depending on the amount of gas being used. I have a portable Champion Power Equipment generator that runs off gas. I found a conversion for it but haven’t done it yet. It’s not that hard. If it were me I would want a stand-alone generator if I was gonna use NG.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the info you shared.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for there responses, it's much appreciated. My Westinghouse WGen12000DF Generator is only tri-fuel (gas & propane) currently. Found the conversion key and/or part I'll need for it to run on NG. Sounds like first step thou is to find a plumber who can split my NG line and add quick connect.

Looking for recommendations on plumbers please for NG hook up. I called Faith Electric but was told they only work on Generac.

Stephen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No needed for the kit, I just hooked the gas line and work like a top.

12000w portable generator (Was on sale for $699) converted to natural gas

Lockout plate and power on alarm
Enclosure is shell of old Carrier rooftops AC, not much louder than a lawnmower, I can hardly hear it inside of the house. Moved the key switch, wired a actuator To the starter to close the choke, I can start it inside of garage.
Run everything inside of 3500sf house minus the 4 tons A/C, 3 tons upstairs run fine.
Needed to add a hi-limit switch to shut down the gas line in case of over heat (fans failure)

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No needed for the kit, I just hooked the gas line and work like a top.

From my experience from working with LPG and converting back and forth between LPG and natural gas, each of them took a different sized orifice in the valve. If one hasn't used a kit or the right orifice, I would suggest checking to see what would happen with the wrong orifice. With such things as ranges, gas furnaces, and hot water heaters, it makes a big difference. As for feeding an internal combustion engine, I don't know if there is a difference between the carburetors of the two different gas types.

Latest posts

Top Bottom