Generator Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From my experience from working with LPG and converting back and forth between LPG and natural gas, each of them took a different sized orifice in the valve. If one hasn't used a kit or the right orifice, I would suggest checking to see what would happen with the wrong orifice. With such things as ranges, gas furnaces, and hot water heaters, it makes a big difference. As for feeding an internal combustion engine, I don't know if there is a difference between the carburetors of the two different gas types.
You nailed it. The jet size varies based on the BTU potential of the fuel source.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my experience from working with LPG and converting back and forth between LPG and natural gas, each of them took a different sized orifice in the valve. If one hasn't used a kit or the right orifice, I would suggest checking to see what would happen with the wrong orifice. With such things as ranges, gas furnaces, and hot water heaters, it makes a big difference. As for feeding an internal combustion engine, I don't know if there is a difference between the carburetors of the two different gas types.
You nailed it. The jet size varies based on the BTU potential of the fuel source.

So then, @Stephen may want to make sure his carburetor is the right one.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So then, @Stephen may want to make sure his carburetor is the right one.
It may not be so complicated as swapping carbs. Ive only ever converted space heaters and such, but normally there is just a restrictor in the line somewhere around the regulator or a different setting on the regulator to adjust the upstream pressure to change the flow rate through the jets.

I am not a plumber, but I do have a decently long career in natural gas and natural gas operated equipment from a field gathering perspective. I would suggest that if someone isn't comfortable finding the information needed to convert an LPG appliance to NG or vice versa, they would be best served buying a conversion kit from a reputable supplier. Incorrect jetting will change how clean the fuel burns which could lead to excess soot which can lead to damaging the appliance, an increased fire risk, etc.

Stephen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of fitting on the soft LP line come with the Genset does have a small orifice which I didn’t use when connected with hard natural gas line. And I did try to regulate the gas flow but found that full flow work the best.(A/F ratio, 3600 RPM) Of cause all these just from my personal experience, and is for information purpose only, if anyone not comfortable with working and experimenting with it please seek professional help.
( without using of the conversion kit you also running risk of the natural gal not shutting off when the generator stall, but I eliminates that by installing the 12v solenoid in series with couple of high limits switches to close the Gas flow if the generator stall or ventilation fans stop working. Beside if generator stall I will noticed it right away.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom