Generator problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When it looks like you'll have a nice stretch of weather, pull the seal, there will be a series if numbers on it. Take it to a bearing, seal, hydraulic shop and they'll get you a new one and that way there's no guessing trying to order one.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses. I didn’t know that about using synthetic oil. That’s what I run in it. Well from everything y’all have said I think this is way above my head. I don’t know jack crap about these engines. I sure don’t know anything about pulling it apart. I wouldn’t know where to start. So if the seal is bad I’m guessing it’s inside and cannot be seen without taking the engine apart? Also, this engine has less than 150 hours on it. That’s the sick part.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses. I didn’t know that about using synthetic oil. That’s what I run in it. Well from everything y’all have said I think this is way above my head. I don’t know jack crap about these engines. I sure don’t know anything about pulling it apart. I wouldn’t know where to start. So if the seal is bad I’m guessing it’s inside and cannot be seen without taking the engine apart? Also, this engine has less than 150 hours on it. That’s the sick part.
I would put a drip pan under it, put the right oil in it and keep using it. I have a ford truck that leaks a ton of oil. Still works just fine!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The don’t use “synthetic oil in small engines” and the “synthetic oil eats seals” is an ancient wives tale. I have synthetic in everything I own and there is zero issue with it. You can even mix it with Dino juice if you want.

One thing that is good ( not mandatory) is to use an oil that’s rated at API SG classification or earlier. That does have more zinc in it and that applies to ALL engine oils for gasoline engines.

True synthetic is superior in every way with no downside.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you will have to remove the generator head to get to the crank seal

Latest posts

Top Bottom