Generator problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
take the cover off the rear of the gen head and un bond the neutral.

Not built that way. It was bonded behind one of the 120v receptacles with a jumper.

schematic.jpg

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know your setup, but if you connect your generator directly to the main panel on your house, you should use a generator that has, or can be used with an unbonded neutral. Your main panel already has the ground and neutral bonded together and you shouldn't have it also bonded in the generator. You can read why on the web. I say this because looking at the wiring diagram another poster provided, the generator you have now has a bonded neutral. If you are just using an extension cord to power an appliance, keep the neutral bonding in place.
Is this because it can back feed the ground?

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t know what that is. Lol.
the crank case vent lets the pressure that builds up in the crank case from compression leaks blow by etc escape usually into the intake manifold so the gasses can be re-burned. if it gets plugged up the crank case will pressurize to the point that it escapes around the seals taking oil with it.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this because it can back feed the ground?

No. I don't know what you mean by back feeding the ground. The grounding conductor (normally) doesn't carry any current unless there is a fault. The ground and neutral should only be bonded at one point (by code) and that is in the breaker panel. The why behind that is explained in a dizzying number of places and videos on the web and can be explained a lot better than I can here. Keep in mind we are not talking about a separately derived system where the neutral is switched as well as the hots, nor are we talking about a stand-alone generator feeding devices directly plugged in or on an extension cord.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I went by a small engine shop here in town today and showed him the video of the engine leaking. He said that it looks like it’s the rear main seal that is bad. He didn’t want to fix it. He said it is a really “intensive” repair since he has to take everything apart. I don’t know about all that. So I am going to buy another portable generator so i have one to run my house, and then I’m gonna try and fix mine. If I am able I will give it to my parents. I have looked at many different generators and have came to the DuroMax XP13,000EH dual fuel model. It can run gas or propane. It also comes path the regulator and hose for the propane. I have three 100 pound propane tanks for my fireplace so I can use those.
It is currently on sale on Walmart.com for $999. It’s normally $1499. I’ve done alot of research on it and they have really good reviews.

And by the way, my manual says that I can use synthetic oil in the generator.
Take lots of pictures as you go and label and bag parts and bolts. Make sure you put every bolt back where it was and torque to specs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom