Generator problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. I don't know what you mean by back feeding the ground. The grounding conductor (normally) doesn't carry any current unless there is a fault. The ground and neutral should only be bonded at one point (by code) and that is in the breaker panel. The why behind that is explained in a dizzying number of places and videos on the web and can be explained a lot better than I can here. Keep in mind we are not talking about a separately derived system where the neutral is switched as well as the hots, nor are we talking about a stand-alone generator feeding devices directly plugged in or on an extension cord.
Yes I always thought bonding neutral and ground outside of the first point of disconnect could create voltage in grounded appliances. Just trying to figure out if that was similar to the generator situation.
1671684389589.png

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My new generator came in two days ago. I put the wheels on and the legs on the front as well as the handles to move it around. Seems to be made well. Has some plastic but overall I think it’s nice. I’m gonna break it in this weekend. I’ll post a follow up after I do. I was surprised that included was a bunch of different heads for different cable sizes, a funnel and hose for adding oil, and a hose and regulator to connect to propane.

EA91F21D-CEB2-4B9D-9925-0B7C9C70D094.jpeg

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I put in 10w30 conventional oil and ran the generator for a little over 5 hours. I hooked some things up to it to change the load every now and again. It never had one issue and ran the same the whole time. It started up by pushing the start button once. I used gas this time as the hose and regulator that came with it didn’t have the right connection to connect to by 100 pound cylinders. I bought a new regulator to hook to the hose so I can run my propane bottles on it. I looked it over good and didn’t notice anything loose or anything. I was very surprised at how it was much quieter than my champion generator even though this duromax is bigger. So far I am really happy I chose this model. I know that it has enough power to run everything in my home. I hope I don’t have to use it but I know it’s only a matter of time where I live. OGE goes out all the time out here.

After it cooled some I drained the oil and put in some Amsoil 5w30 small engine synthetic oil. So it’s ready to go now.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just a heads up----if the 100 lbs propane bottle tips over onto it's side the liquid propane will be delivered into your appliances instead of vapor. this can get really dangerous very fast. make sure you secure the bottle into a rack so this can't happen.

That times 100,000.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I put in 10w30 conventional oil and ran the generator for a little over 5 hours. I hooked some things up to it to change the load every now and again. It never had one issue and ran the same the whole time. It started up by pushing the start button once. I used gas this time as the hose and regulator that came with it didn’t have the right connection to connect to by 100 pound cylinders. I bought a new regulator to hook to the hose so I can run my propane bottles on it. I looked it over good and didn’t notice anything loose or anything. I was very surprised at how it was much quieter than my champion generator even though this duromax is bigger. So far I am really happy I chose this model. I know that it has enough power to run everything in my home. I hope I don’t have to use it but I know it’s only a matter of time where I live. OGE goes out all the time out here.

After it cooled some I drained the oil and put in some Amsoil 5w30 small engine synthetic oil. So it’s ready to go now.

Will you get a permanent tank of propane set to run it? Fuel Treatment and pure gas is recommended I bet in the manual.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will you get a permanent tank of propane set to run it? Fuel Treatment and pure gas is recommended I bet in the manual.
I’m gonna get a 250 gallon tank in the future. I would have already done it if I had the money. Guess I can charge that too. My debt is already ridiculously high so what’s a little more! lol. I will probably just run the line myself so I don’t have to pay a plumber to do it. I just don’t know what kind of line to use. I guess I can use poly like we do for NG as work. I don’t know a ton about propane. Currently I have three 100lb tanks on my back porch and there is an inlet line that I connect to there to supply my ventless fireplace. Yeah the builder was a cheap rear. So I will have to run a line from the tank to there and then another one to supply the generator. My neighbor down the road just did this about two months ago. He bought a used 500 gallon tank, ran the line himself and had a generac whole home generator installed. But yes, you are correct about running pure gas. It only recommends a fuel treatment if I let it sit for more than 20 days. I never do. I start it every other Saturday. Well I will. That’s what I did with my other generator.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
propane is good fuel and it stores well also. be aware that your genny will not produce as much power on lpg as it does on gasoline.. talk to a propane supplier who will fill your tank about the distance and the amount of appliances generator etc you intend to run and they will assist you so that you don't put in to small of a line. rolled copper is fine as well as poly but the pressures are in ounces unless you go two stage and the longer the line the bigger diameter it needs to be. have you checked into renting a tank from the supplier?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
propane is good fuel and it stores well also. be aware that your genny will not produce as much power on lpg as it does on gasoline.. talk to a propane supplier who will fill your tank about the distance and the amount of appliances generator etc you intend to run and they will assist you so that you don't put in to small of a line. rolled copper is fine as well as poly but the pressures are in ounces unless you go two stage and the longer the line the bigger diameter it needs to be. have you checked into renting a tank from the supplier?
I actually sent an email to two propane companies around here. One is where I get my cylinders filled. The other I have used before but it’s been a while. I’m waiting to hear back from them.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got ahold of a company in Kingfisher called BLT Tanks. They only sale propane tanks. Usually in large bulk orders but they do sell individual ones. I can get a completely refurbished tank with all new valves, regulator and paint for $1232. That’s with tax. I have to pick it up from their yard. They don’t accept credit cards, only cash or check. And that sucks because I wanted to put it on my credit card. I don’t have that money to spend. I cannot believe they don’t accept CC’s. Square is cheap. I still haven’t heard back from Steve’s Propane or Stewards Propane. I would rather go with Steve’s as I know them for doing business there so long and I really like them. Plus their prices are the best around that I know of. I may just call them tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom