Generator problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I took apart my generator this afternoon. It wasn’t too difficult. I made sure to take pictures so I knew where to put stuff back. It has got to be the seal around the crankshaft. That is where the oil is coming out of when I run it. The seal doesn’t look bad but I have no idea what they are supposed to look like. I’ve never dealt with one before. I’m gonna order one and then put it in and out the generator back together and hopefully it fixes it. I don’t see any way possible it could be anything else.
279B9458-DDF8-45E6-88DF-0F17E97B2A5E.jpeg
323384D6-2576-45CE-A362-8F174E353DA1.jpeg
AE688ECC-B6AD-47C2-BDCE-B2DA31928DB1.jpeg
AE87BC9C-813C-449F-BEC2-9C1E077D3717.jpeg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take that seal and you might be able to find one at an auto parts store. They can get the same seal with the number on it and may have it in stock. Seals are almost always a general catalog item and are used in all sorts of applications. Transmissions, engine seals, wheel bearings, etc., etc., etc.

ETA: I'm just curious as to why it failed so quickly. Check that bearing for play radially and end play too.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
somewhere on that engine is a vent that relieves internal pressure build up. you will have to find it. look for a tube from the valve cover or the crank case that probably terminates into the intake usually in front of the carburetor.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i googled your gen and model. basically just another chinese generator similar to harbor freight. the engine is a champion brand and probably a clone of some sort. but i the search i found a picture of the engine and it appears that the crank case vent is a rubber tube that comes out of the valve cover and goes over to the intake somewhere.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i googled your gen and model. basically just another chinese generator similar to harbor freight. the engine is a champion brand and probably a clone of some sort. but i the search i found a picture of the engine and it appears that the crank case vent is a rubber tube that comes out of the valve cover and goes over to the intake somewhere.
I was gonna get a Harbor Freight Predator until I saw the warranty was only 90 days and I had to buy the battery and the wheel kit myself. That is ridiculous. My champion and my new Duromax have 3 year warranty’s and I added another year on the Duromax. And they came with the battery’s and wheel kits. My Duromax also came with a propane hookup and a bunch of heads for different cables.

Latest posts

Top Bottom