Geo. Kaiser wants to turn Tulsa into Austin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if you just didn't know how to navigate the site or???

http://www.gkff.org/

From the Site... of individuals they have partnered with or helped fund

TPS
Union Schools
TFA
Reading Parners
KIPP Tulsa
Tulsa Legacy Charter Schools
Tulsa Educare
Early Childhood Institute at the University of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Health Care Authority
Reach Out and Read
Talking is Teaching
Tulsa Healthcare Coverage Project
Heart Improvement Project
Tulsa Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
Take Control Initiative
Guthrie Green
The Bob Dylan Archive
Woody Guthrie Center
Tulsa Artist Fellowship
Tulsa Awards for Theatre Excellence

Now I go on and on because there's actually more listed.

One thing I'd like to relay due to some of the comments here by yourself. Per the site, under the neighborhood development heading....

"In the neighborhood around Educare 2 in North Tulsa, GKFF is working to create a significant number of quality job opportunities to uplift the community. The site at the southeast corner of 36th Street North and Peoria Avenue is a 115-acre economic development project designed to attract a large‐scale employer bringing 1000+ transferable-skills jobs to the area. Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology (OSU‐IT), the state’s foremost technical and training college, has signed on to provide on‐site skills training. OSU IT’s presence will not only benefit the employer but also residents of North Tulsa by providing training targeted at the local population. The successful completion of this project will be a catalyst driving the implementation of the city’s approved Small Area Plan around housing, commercial and retail development along the Peoria corridor."

Namely, you can rant and rave all you like, but the facts just aren't in your favor.

Yeah, I guess I don't because I've spent a bit of time trying to find that list. Where on the site did you find it? And second, I already acknowledged that he does other work, however you have not provided any proof that a fancy park will do anything to combat race relation problems in the Tulsa area.

And last, you still do not understand that a majority of people do not want another Austin. Had the article pointed out that he built this so the community would have a nice park, that would have been fine. However the parts where he said he wants Tulsa to become another Austin and that he does all this philanthropy because he feels "guilty", yeah but no.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck I thought he was only stating facts , which part was criticism!! :cool: And if Lawton is to far just jump off I-40 at Western on OKC and head north and look at the sprawling Walmart cart/canvas bungalow the bums built on the overpass!! :yikes2::cool:

I was joking. See posts #33, #50, #60 and #67

For the record, half of Lawton IS a **** hole and should be bulldozed. Half of the homes alone should be condemned. Many of the commercial buildings are also on their last leg. Only a few have been torn down. Its amazing what land lords get away with in Oklahoma

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was joking. See posts #33, #50, #60 and #67

For the record, half of Lawton IS a **** hole and should be bulldozed. Half of the homes alone should be condemned. Many of the commercial buildings are also on their last leg. Only a few have been torn down. Its amazing what land lords get away with in Oklahoma

I agree with the last sentence. Was a major reason my wife and I seriously looked into buying a house. My last landlord was a psycho and the only option I had was just to move out.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get it though boys.... this is all bad. We should go back to the unoccupied, run down, bum filled, downtown of just 15 years ago.
I would prefer the Tulsa downtown as it was in the 1950's and early 1960's. A nice safe place you could walk around in and eat and shop. They used to wash and sweep the streets every night. Tulsa was considered one of Americas most beautiful cities back then.

And better yet, I was young.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would prefer the Tulsa downtown as it was in the 1950's and early 1960's. A nice safe place you could walk around in and eat and shop. They used to wash and sweep the streets every night. Tulsa was considered one of Americas most beautiful cities back then.

And better yet, I was young.

Let’s be real. When y’all moved to the suburbs you killed off that downtown :D

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I don't because I've spent a bit of time trying to find that list. Where on the site did you find it? And second, I already acknowledged that he does other work, however you have not provided any proof that a fancy park will do anything to combat race relation problems in the Tulsa area.

And last, you still do not understand that a majority of people do not want another Austin. Had the article pointed out that he built this so the community would have a nice park, that would have been fine. However the parts where he said he wants Tulsa to become another Austin and that he does all this philanthropy because he feels "guilty", yeah but no.

Not hard to find....it was in the drop down menu on the upper left hand side. The "combat race relation" is your strawman argument so I'll leave you with it. In the same sense you won't be able to provide that it won't do as he envisions.

I don't think you speak for a majority. Locally, I see support for the gather place to be overwhelmingly positive. Granted you have some cynics from OSA living elsewhere, but OSA has a history of that. Don't worry, nobody is getting in your way of sitting at home and staying mad about it.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I visited the Gatering Place last night for the inaugural opening. Private donations for the park were around $400 million. This is the largest privately funded park in the world and it was awesome. This is about half of the park and I am facing north. The park is supposed to open on September 8 so there is work still going on. I Will say, the water looked pretty bad, but once it’s finished up, they will have canoes, paddle boats and other things to float on.

The kids loved all the different park activities and climbing apparatus. The picture doesn’t do the park justice.

4769F0F2-6CCD-4E3B-83F5-37F084EC6AA3.jpeg

01529D5A-DC70-4D04-B826-F8D0F9C1F793.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom