Geo. Kaiser wants to turn Tulsa into Austin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry man, this is the 1% I disagree with you on. Educating our kids, giving them places to play, and working with small business owners is a good thing and it's not some sort of evil blue wave plan. Seems education and a thriving local business community would bode VERY well for infrastructure wouldn't it? I know downtown is a better place than it was 10 years ago. In terms of making a city blue.... I'd look no further than our "red" compatriots. They are doing a fine job of running it into the ground.

LOL, you're not going to get me to defend the "red" so-called "leadership" of this town here. They're certainly a disaster on the management side of the equation. That doesn't mean they're worse than the blue contingent, because they're not. Ask yourself why Kaiser used Austin as his model. Do you think his politics played no role? Why not any of the other cities raising their quality of life, minus the massive political upheaval? Why not San Antonio, Pittsburgh, Tampa-St. Pete, Salt Lake City, Raleigh or Charlotte?

Austin has pretty much built it's entire persona on being the most liberal city this side of Berkeley. They courted tax and cost of living refugees from California and it worked. Now housing is unaffordable for many who are native to the area. Is that a good thing?

I love bars and entertainment venues and parks as much as the next person, but do I want someone like Sally Hernandez as our sheriff? Nope. The problem with using a city like Austin as your template, is that you wind up with a city like Austin, and all the baggage that comes with it. So thanks, but no thanks. :(

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, you're not going to get me to defend the "red" so-called "leadership" of this town here. They're certainly a disaster on the management side of the equation. That doesn't mean they're worse than the blue contingent, because they're not. Ask yourself why Kaiser used Austin as his model. Do you think his politics played no role? Why not any of the other cities raising their quality of life, minus the massive political upheaval? Why not San Antonio, Pittsburgh, Tampa-St. Pete, Salt Lake City, Raleigh or Charlotte?

Austin has pretty much built it's entire persona on being the most liberal city this side of Berkeley. They courted tax and cost of living refugees from California and it worked. Now housing is unaffordable for many who are native to the area. Is that a good thing?

I love bars and entertainment venues and parks as much as the next person, but do I want someone like Sally Hernandez as our sheriff? Nope. The problem with using a city like Austin as your template, is that you wind up with a city like Austin, and all the baggage that comes with it. So thanks, but no thanks. :(

Cmon, do you honestly think that building a park for kids all of the sudden equates to a blue wave? Again, if that is honestly your concern you need to look around you. People aren't going to vote blue because Kaiser built the Gathering Place. They are going to vote blue because they are constantly tired of fighting their legislature to fund education and driving on roads that crumble.

In that article there is what, like a line or two about Austin and people are freaking out? I'm not sure any of those cities aside from San Antonio has seen the kind of growth Austin has. Knowing that it's seen substantial business growth, affordable housing, and ranks high in education, I'd say those are the metrics he hopes to achieve as opposed to getting us to vote blue. Interestingly enough, his focus is small businesses, education, and the Gathering Place. Now I ask you.... are those good things? I'd say so.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It is his money and if he wants to build a park so be it!! Ain't none of my damn business !! What does his politics have to do with a park? It is a place everyone can take the little ones to be outside instead of on the couch eating Twinkies and shooting cartoon bad guys in the virtual world!! Don't give a crap what this guys politics are , that's a good idea!!

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is his money and if he wants to build a park so be it!! Ain't none of my damn business !! What does his politics have to do with a park? It is a place everyone can take the little ones to be outside instead of on the couch eating Twinkies and shooting cartoon bad guys in the virtual world!! Don't give a crap what this guys politics are , that's a good idea!!

oh haven't you heard? Parks are the gateway drug to liberalism

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cmon, do you honestly think that building a park for kids all of the sudden equates to a blue wave? Again, if that is honestly your concern you need to look around you. People aren't going to vote blue because Kaiser built the Gathering Place. They are going to vote blue because they are constantly tired of fighting their legislature to fund education and driving on roads that crumble.

In that article there is what, like a line or two about Austin and people are freaking out? I'm not sure any of those cities aside from San Antonio has seen the kind of growth Austin has. Knowing that it's seen substantial business growth, affordable housing, and ranks high in education, I'd say those are the metrics he hopes to achieve as opposed to getting us to vote blue. Interestingly enough, his focus is small businesses, education, and the Gathering Place. Now I ask you.... are those good things? I'd say so.

RIF. I haven't made a single comment on Kaiser's pet public projects in the metropolitan area. I honestly don't care whether he spends none of his fortune or all of it on parks or anything else. I've strictly focused on his politics and political goals, nothing else. Unless it's named "The George Kaiser Gathering Place for Liberalism", I don't care. The premise of the entire thread is Kaiser mentioning Austin as the goal. Specifically:

For Mr. Kaiser, a lifelong Tulsan, the park — projected at 100 acres, with a children’s museum — is furthering his goal of drawing entrepreneurs and young professionals who could make his city the next Austin.

Now when you examine WHAT Austin has that Kaiser wants here, you must also examine HOW Austin got what Kaiser wants. The two are not mutually exclusive. So politically speaking, do you want Tulsa to become the next Austin? Or do you not?

Outside of that, you do not have my permission to mischaracterize my comments in this thread as relating to anything but politics. Mkay? :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom