Geo. Kaiser wants to turn Tulsa into Austin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to work one day last week the radio states Christopher Columbus elementary school was renamed after a Mexican women so that the kids are familiar with Mexican history.. So I'd say they are on their way..

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See now this is a problem, at least for some of us. The standard today that our city leaders grade themselves by is bringing in as many people as possible. Doesn't matter where they come from, or why, as long as they come. They consider that success.

To some of us, we like the sleepy little towns and the flyover state environment. There are tons of large metropolitan areas we could move to if we chose to. Our measure of success is just a bit different and the mantra of "a need for cities to attract folks" gets old real fast. We'd like to have a bunch of folks leave actually.

Seen this mindset before, back 20+ years ago in Bixby. Lots of cynical mentality. Things changed, now you have one of the better school systems around Tulsa, great housing, and the city is doing very well as a whole. Of course you also have the BOK example, in which OSA was full of cynical B.S. back then too......again... downtown is going through a "renaissance" of sorts. I DO understand that some want to live in nowhere Oklahoma and that's great, nobody is stopping them, but it seems many in Tulsa want to better their city. If people want to remain stagnant in other places, no worries there, more power to them.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess it depends on your definition of "better".......the BOK center and the "revitalization" of downtown aren't "better" for everyone....I have never been to the BOK and will probably never go.......from what I can tell, the "revitalization" of downtown has been very good for those who enjoy bars and restaurants and those who own then.....I've spent a little time downtown and can't think of a single way the "revitalization" has improved my quality of life. I'm sure many people, like you, see this stuff as an improvement.....others, like me, not so much.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's more than food and drink.

Apartments, condos/townhomes, improved hotels, running store, cycling store, art galleries, museums, a college campus (TU's Oxley College of Health Sciences), a bowling alley, new baseball park, television station and studio, record store, salons/spas, an entrepreneur / startup hub/shared office...

have all opened there. That's just off the top of my head.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So lets build a lot of parks while these people keep working mw jobs because they don't have marketable skills. Instead of houses how about that many more scholarships to TTC and TCC? Yes, he has helped with primary education, but that does little for the adults of these kids working low paying jobs. Oh, yeah, he supports a higher mw (something that does little to help as inflation kills those gains after a few years).

This park is nothing more than to make him feel better about himself.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess it depends on your definition of "better".......the BOK center and the "revitalization" of downtown aren't "better" for everyone....I have never been to the BOK and will probably never go.......from what I can tell, the "revitalization" of downtown has been very good for those who enjoy bars and restaurants and those who own then.....I've spent a little time downtown and can't think of a single way the "revitalization" has improved my quality of life. I'm sure many people, like you, see this stuff as an improvement.....others, like me, not so much.

LOL.... let's see...Guthrie Green, Woody Guthrie Museum, A new Ball park. The Brady, PAC, Cains, and the BOK are all doing well. Several buildings I can think of are either being restored and put on the registry or renovated. Shall I go on?

I get it though boys.... this is all bad. We should go back to the unoccupied, run down, bum filled, downtown of just 15 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom