Georgia lawmakers yank tax break for Delta after airline cuts ties with NRA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally think tax incentives to companies to relocate should not be allowed.
Yeah, I know they weigh the overall initial break vs long term sales/tax revenues, but it doesn't always work out that way.
My home town courted Huffy Bicycle years ago with a huge tax break, built them a 10 acre manufacturing facility that was state of the art to their specs giving them tax and utility incentives.
They moved in, made one hell of a contribution at barely above minimum wage. Gave away a hundred bicycles or so a year to local charities with huge fanfare, and when the time ran out on the incentives, they shut the doors and moved out within a few months. (the current rules for shutting down large facilities was not in effect at that time.)
After the facility sat unused for many years, it was basically given to a grocery distribution company just to get someone in there.
I'm sure there are huge success stories, but there are also failures.

I agree. I think tax incentives are short term gains for longterm loses in many instances.

We are celebrating GA for 'sticking' it to Delta by eliminating a tax incentive. That is great (and probably a better longterm move in some respects), but would we be so happy if a liberal state started to do the same thing to groups that supported the NRA?

I just have a hard time celebrating anyone who uses the government to 'punish' private businesses in this way. It seems like path down the slippery slope we always talk about in other areas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. I think tax incentives are short term gains for longterm loses in many instances.

We are celebrating GA for 'sticking' it to Delta by eliminating a tax incentive. That is great (and probably a better longterm move in some respects), but would we be so happy if a liberal state started to do the same thing to groups that supported the NRA?

I just have a hard time celebrating anyone who uses the government to 'punish' private businesses in this way. It seems like path down the slippery slope we always talk about in other areas.
If we didn't have those programs, we wouldn't be celebrating anything, but I get your point.
We are seeing that everyday.
Nothing will change. We will vilify those that disparage the NRA, we will applaud those that support it.
On the other side of the aisle, the opposite will happen.
Isn't politics wonderful?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, I don't understand the liberal outrage with the NRA?
The Broward County Sheriff's department and the FBI OWN this school shooting.
The NRA had nothing to do with it.
Where is the outrage at GOA, and other gun lobby advocates?
They have been amazingly silent in this issue.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would the members here condone a state like Washington deciding to 'punish' Amazon because it failed to sever ties with the NRA by ending it's tax incentives?

i edited the post to try to make clear what i'm trying to ask. Do we support states punishing businesses for having ties to the NRA?
Bingo. This is using the tax code to push, or punish, a political viewpoint. Next time, the shoe will be on the other foot...say, a city penalizing a company for voluntarily complying with a search request.

If we have any principles at all, we should be opposed to this.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bingo. This is using the tax code to push, or punish, a political viewpoint. Next time, the shoe will be on the other foot...say, a city penalizing a company for voluntarily complying with a search request.

If we have any principles at all, we should be opposed to this.
I've had some principals.
Used to date one back in the day. :hey3:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Delta added: “Delta supports all of its customers but will not support organizations on any side of any highly charged political issue that divides our nation.”
So if they are offering discounts to any group supporting gun control they should be sued!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Um... don't Liberal states already punish small business and gun owners? Not to mention businesses like YouTube currently banning content left and right. This is a push back and it's nice to see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom