Georgia lawmakers yank tax break for Delta after airline cuts ties with NRA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tax breaks aside, I sure hope those 13 people who used the discount last year can find other accommodations:

Thirteen people booked tickets with Delta's NRA discount for the upcoming conference, Delta spokesman Trebor Banstetter told CNBC.

I think it's a bit reactive for the airline to pull the discount (though they clearly thought otherwise in today's political climate), but clearly no one was using it anyway. I wonder if the GA politicians knew how often the discount was used?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, let's see here:

If Delta is no longer "participating" in a discount program with some company, couldn't we say that Georgia was "participating" in a discount program with Delta with "tax breaks?" Thus, Delta and Georgia both suspended a discount program.

Not an issue with me. Seems fair and equitable. Well, except that I'm sure that Delta's "discount" was much, much higher than the discount offered to NRA members wanting to have said discount.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, let's see here:

If Delta is no longer "participating" in a discount program with some company, couldn't we say that Georgia was "participating" in a discount program with Delta with "tax breaks?" Thus, Delta and Georgia both suspended a discount program.

Not an issue with me. Seems fair and equitable. Well, except that I'm sure that Delta's "discount" was much, much higher than the discount offered to NRA members wanting to have said discount.
It's entirely different when one of the parties is the government. Private parties can enter into agreements, or not, as they choose; governments compel participation by force of law. Huge difference.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m sure they paid more to the NRA simply to affiliate with them than they even spent on the thirteen flights per year.

The tax breaks will sure hurt I bet. Atlanta - while not my cup of tea- is also such a rapidly growing and economically booming metro it would be hard to leave.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's entirely different when one of the parties is the government. Private parties can enter into agreements, or not, as they choose; governments compel participation by force of law. Huge difference.

I'm unaware of any case where the government compelled a company to participate in a tax discount program. I very highly doubt that Georgia was forcing Delta to take these tax breaks and Delta was saying no. :)

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm unaware of any case where the government compelled a company to participate in a tax discount program. I very highly doubt that Georgia was forcing Delta to take these tax breaks and Delta was saying no. :)
The government compels them to pay taxes in the first place; they don't have the option of keeping out of the whole scheme. .gov is saying "nice wallet you've got there; if you don't exercise your First Amendment rights in a way that displeases us, we'll take less from it."

Latest posts

Top Bottom