Gerber Factory Response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About three months ago I contacted Gerber and requested information on the production date of my knife that accompanied me to SEA and other parts of the world. I gave them the serial number (11840) and hoped they could give me a range of production dates. Three months later I receive this via E-mail:

From the info I have, I can confirm your knife was in production between 1966-1998. I know this is a huge time frame; Gerber record-keeping was very poor up until the early 2000s.

Let me know if there's anything else you need!

Thanks,
Kyle K
Gerber

Here was my response:

Since it shows a serial number of 11840, I thought you might be able to do a little better than a 20 year range, My mistake!

I am in the process of buying knives for my 3 sons and 3 SILs, and you can bet your butt, they won't be Gerbers.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 70

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's hard to hear, Gerber is one of my favorites. That sucks, but at least it seems you got an honest answer and not a run around. Their not tactical, but check into RH Ruana, their knives are top notch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a presentation Gerber for my 15 year anniversary at the company I worked for in the 90’s.
Incredible fit and finish with our company emblem and some stones embellished in the company logo.
Sadly most production has gone to the chicoms with some of the popular knives. Maybe that lapse of information reflects that trend?
Can you determine where it was built?

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the time it was one of the best fighting knives available. I just thought they would have maintained some production records. They took the effort to stamp a serial number on it. Oh well, RANT over!

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have respect for Gerber thouogh my go-to knife is still a Buck. I have not researched it in years, but if Gerber is still making a good knife I don't think I would just blow the company off only because they had some lousy record keeping 20 years ago. The Gerber Company let you know, basically, that it was their fault instead of trying to evade blame, and that means a lot in my book.

Latest posts

Top Bottom