Germany to restart coal plants, LOL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it has been manymany years ago i attended the oklahoma symposium on wind power. i was fortunate enough to be coupled with an engineer from con ed in new york . in our discussions he was in the same camp as you and was of the opinion even then that the giant wind farms were not really feasible because or ramp up and down problems in the wind. he said at the time the science supported a theory that every land owner could have a small turbine that would grid tie. the small turbine would provide most of the electricity for that customer and the rest could be sold back to the power company. his explanation was that thousands of smaller turbines spread across the country would run at a more constant than the large farms would and if one dropped out or slowed down the effect would be insignificant. but guess what. they opted for the big corporate subsidized tax harvester instead of common sense.
That’s the purpose of a power grid. Typically in the Southwest power pool that encompasses Ok, and parts of Ks, Tx, and NM there are hundred or so of power plants 0n line inputting their generation into the load (customers).
It’s all automated so that if a 500 megawatt power plant that can feed all of OKC on its own goes down to a malfunction, all of the other plants that are running at 90% of full load, each come up to 91% and the customer never sees a blip in their power.
Wind and solar contribute to the needs of the grid for sure but their lifespan and durability leave much to be desired.
The carbon footprint that the greenies are so quick to quote also fails in the manufacturing, transportation, erection and infrastructure of putting in the wind farms.
Eventually they will be left as monuments on the prairies of a failed technology.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Nuke waste is certainly a problem, but would the cost of slingshotting waste cargo carrying spacecraft be feasible?

Spacecraft malfunction before entering space and that radioactive waste is spread miles upon miles on land or sea…

Just bury it deep. Don’t they have a storage facility underground in New Mexico?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spacecraft malfunction before entering space and that radioactive waste is spread miles upon miles on land or sea…

Just bury it deep. Don’t they have a storage facility underground in New Mexico?
Yucca Mountain NV is the biggest disposal site, but during all the court fights over nuke power, other temp sited were authorized. 80 according to government sources.

The Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982 (NWPA; P.L. 97- 425) authorized the Department of Energy (DOE) to site a geologic repository for the permanent disposal of high-level radioactive waste. Congress amended the NWPA in 1987 to designate Yucca Mountain, NV, as the only location to be considered by DOE to construct a national high-level nuclear waste repository. Political and legal opposition to the project has delayed the licensing, construction, and operation of the proposed Yucca Mountain repository. NWPA authorized DOE to enter into agreements with nuclear utilities and other reactor owners to collect fees to pay for DOE’s disposal of the SNF. However, due to the delay in operation of a permanent repository, the federal government has paid roughly $7.4 billion from the Judgment Fund to nuclear utilities and other reactor owners pursuant to court settlements and final judgments through FY2018. Figure 1 shows the locations of 80 sites in the United States where nuclear waste is currently stored. At 57 of these sites, 96 operating nuclear reactors generate approximately 20% of the total annual electricity production for the United States. A “site” in Figure 1 is a geographically distinct location. In some instances, multiple nuclear reactors may be co-located (operating or not) at a single site

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/nuke/IF11201.pdf

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Eventually they will be left as monuments on the prairies of a failed technology.

Over here in the Guymon the first German ‘DeWind’ turbines that were put up in this area are being torn down. Concrete and everything ripped up. They have almost got all of them destroyed and hauled off.

Unfortunately another company has moved in to the south near Gruver, TX and I heard are putting up nearly 300 or more of their turbines; stretching up into Texas County, OK. And now in the place of the old DeWind turbines this new company sealed the rights to the electrical infrastructure and are putting their turbines up. New footing and all.

Still have some of the first Suzlon turbines up, some have been destroyed. Suzlon (India company) went bankrupt and now looks like a new company has either taken over or are inspecting them. I imagine they will be destroyed as well soon since they are getting obsolete and getting up there in age.

Only two wind companies that seem to be successful in this area right now are Vestas and GE.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over here in the Guymon the first German ‘DeWind’ turbines that were put up in this area are being torn down. Concrete and everything ripped up. They have almost got all of them destroyed and hauled off.

Unfortunately another company has moved in to the south near Gruver, TX and I heard are putting up nearly 300 or more of their turbines; stretching up into Texas County, OK. And now in the place of the old DeWind turbines this new company sealed the rights to the electrical infrastructure and are putting their turbines up. New footing and all.

Still have some of the first Suzlon turbines up, some have been destroyed. Suzlon (India company) went bankrupt and now looks like a new company has either taken over or are inspecting them. I imagine they will be destroyed as well soon since they are getting obsolete and getting up there in age.

Only two wind companies that seem to be successful in this area right now are Vestas and GE.
Lucky folks got a demolition clause in their contracts. Some of the wind farms put in do not include demolition and land restoral in their contracts.
The company that want's to put a couple of towers on one of our farms didn't include that in the proposal contract either.
I took it to our lawyer, who included environmental clauses to clean up and restore the land to original condition for any reason, hydraulic leak from erection equipment, gear box leak, whatever.
He also required the company managing the wind farm to remove and restore to original condition should it fail or go obsolete.
The wind company signed it without discussion. Lots of low balling out there right now.
We got a letter from them the other day with another check to let us know that they can't start construction of the farm yet as they don't have buyers of the power.
So, this is an area I'm not familiar with.
Do wind farms require a customer before building them?
I know one of them North of us is Oklahoma University power, so they can claim they use 100% wind power which is bullcrap. When the wind doesn't blow, they use coal burners for power. It all runs on the same transmission lines, and there is no way to separate it. They can scream green all they want, but I sat in the Control Room of Sooner Power Plant for many years watching the wind farms sit idle with no wind or too much wind when they feather the blades to keep them from spinning out of control while our coal burner produced 1100 megawatts day in and day out.
It was a joke among the operators that were tasked with monitoring the loads in power plants and wind farms across Oklahoma. All of them were on that computer screen so there was no BS.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Lucky folks got a demolition clause in their contracts. Some of the wind farms put in do not include demolition and land restoral in their contracts.
The company that want's to put a couple of towers on one of our farms didn't include that in the proposal contract either.
I took it to our lawyer, who included environmental clauses to clean up and restore the land to original condition for any reason, hydraulic leak from erection equipment, gear box leak, whatever.
He also required the company managing the wind farm to remove and restore to original condition should it fail or go obsolete.
The wind company signed it without discussion. Lots of low balling out there right now.
We got a letter from them the other day with another check to let us know that they can't start construction of the farm yet as they don't have buyers of the power.
So, this is an area I'm not familiar with.
Do wind farms require a customer before building them?
I know one of them North of us is Oklahoma University power, so they can claim they use 100% wind power which is bullcrap. When the wind doesn't blow, they use coal burners for power. It all runs on the same transmission lines, and there is no way to separate it. They can scream green all they want, but I sat in the Control Room of Sooner Power Plant for many years watching the wind farms sit idle with no wind or too much wind when they feather the blades to keep them from spinning out of control while our coal burner produced 1100 megawatts day in and day out.
It was a joke among the operators that were tasked with monitoring the loads in power plants and wind farms across Oklahoma. All of them were on that computer screen so there was no BS.

I don’t know if they got a demolition clause or not. I think the new company just said they were going to take over the “location” so old ones had to go so they could put their new turbines up. Some of these landowners up here are pretty smart though and probably did have a clause in there.

On talk of customers… I have no idea. The story I heard about the ones out here though was that all the electricity made from the wind turbines went to Tennessee…

On the talks of energy What’s really funny and I get a huge laugh out of it is the local pork producer is getting the methane gas off the pig poop lagoons and turning it into natural gas and compressing it and sending it down the pipeline. California pays top dollar for that “green” gas… I’m talking like 3 times or more the price of normal natural gas… here is the hilarious part though.. That green gas goes into the same DCP pipelines and mixes with the natural gas that is produced by all the surrounding gas wells.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if they got a demolition clause or not. I think the new company just said they were going to take over the “location” so old ones had to go so they could put their new turbines up. Some of these landowners up here are pretty smart though and probably did have a clause in there.

On talk of customers… I have no idea. The story I heard about the ones out here though was that all the electricity made from the wind turbines went to Tennessee…

On the talks of energy What’s really funny and I get a huge laugh out of it is the local pork producer is getting the methane gas off the pig poop lagoons and turning it into natural gas and compressing it and sending it down the pipeline. California pays top dollar for that “green” gas… I’m talking like 3 times or more the price of normal natural gas… here is the hilarious part though.. That green gas goes into the same DCP pipelines and mixes with the natural gas that is produced by all the surrounding gas wells.
When some out of state consumers not on our grid want to buy Oklahoma wind power, they build a dedicated transmission system involving towers, wires, erection, construction and so on which generates a huge carbon footprint (to use the greenies lingo against them).
Mining the materials to build the towers, aluminum for the lines, insulators, concrete and the trucks to bring it, and so on.
Tennessee is doing just that.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...e-will-send-oklahoma-wind-power-to-tennessee/
The carbon footprint laid down will never allow the system to be "green".

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"On the talks of energy What’s really funny and I get a huge laugh out of it is the local pork producer is getting the methane gas off the pig poop lagoons and turning it into natural gas and compressing it and sending it down the pipeline. California pays top dollar for that “green” gas… I’m talking like 3 times or more the price of normal natural gas… here is the hilarious part though.."

My cousin had a dairy, between Ada and Davis, in the 60s-80s.

He had an old 6cyl Chevy PU parked beside the corral. After milking, the barn and corral floor was shoveled into the bed of the pickup. A tarp covered the bed with a tent. A dryer hose ran from the peak to the carburetor. The motor had 6-10 alternators wired to a bank of batteries. All of the barn lights, milking machines and chillers ran on this system.

Green is possible, but how the idiots are proposing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom