Getting a companion dog to take hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m wanting to get a dog in the next year or two. Specifically a wire hair pointing griffon. I’ve dealt with a few owned by other people and I really like what I’ve dealt with. The problem is, I don’t do much upland game hunting any more. Mostly hunt squirrels and pigs. Do any of you guys have gun dogs that you take out for reasons other than their breeding? How does that work for you? I guess I’m looking for more of a companion, a dog I can take hunting, fishing, and camping. I’ve also been considering training the dog for search and rescue operations and start volunteering more. Am I setting myself up for a headache? Or would this be something that would work out nicely?

Also, do any of you guys breed or know of WPG breeders?

939CFC6F-7CBA-482C-AC45-48C6D2114A23.jpeg

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m wanting to get a dog in the next year or two. Specifically a wire hair pointing griffon. I’ve dealt with a few owned by other people and I really like what I’ve dealt with. The problem is, I don’t do much upland game hunting any more. Mostly hunt squirrels and pigs. Do any of you guys have gun dogs that you take out for reasons other than their breeding? How does that work for you? I guess I’m looking for more of a companion, a dog I can take hunting, fishing, and camping. I’ve also been considering training the dog for search and rescue operations and start volunteering more. Am I setting myself up for a headache? Or would this be something that would work out nicely?

Also, do any of you guys breed or know of WPG breeders?

View attachment 224584
WPG, GSP, Weim’s, Vizsla are super high strung and gun training has to start earmy. I have A GSP and if you just handle a gun, and open the action or rack the slide, shes gone…..fire over her and you have to use GPS to find her. I also have a Bluetick and you could fire mortars over him without bothering him. For search and rescue I guess I have two of the best dogs in the business just never thought of using them for that.

2FBE36B0-117B-4197-B5F3-41A77E3FE04D.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my Annie (lab) was alive, I took her everywhere, because she was so well behaved and liked to go. I’m now taking my Boykin Spaniel, and though she’s still a little high strung, she’s making into a great ”companion” and truck dog.
As far as it being a headache, I guess that depends on how much of dog person you are. I love having Bonnie around and can’t imagine being without her, and she really enjoys getting to go. :anyone:
5F722EEA-43D8-437F-8900-164112F03275.jpeg

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my Annie (lab) was alive, I took her everywhere, because she was so well behaved and liked to go. I’m now taking my Boykin Spaniel, and though she’s still a little high strung, she’s making into a great ”companion” and truck dog.
As far as it being a headache, I guess that depends on how much of dog person you are. I love having Bonnie around and can’t imagine being without her, and she really enjoys getting to go. :anyone:
View attachment 224591
I can fully understand. My Sadie loves being with me and we go most places together. If I don't take her, it doesn't matter if it's 10 minutes or a couple hours, she is always happy to see me. That's not always true for people, even our spouses at times. I count my dog as a blessing.

Like your dog, my Sadie loves to ride. Believe it or not, there are times I can just think about going somewhere, and she gets all excited. Dogs can be amazing.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
WPG, GSP, Weim’s, Vizsla are super high strung and gun training has to start earmy. I have A GSP and if you just handle a gun, and open the action or rack the slide, shes gone…..fire over her and you have to use GPS to find her. I also have a Bluetick and you could fire mortars over him without bothering him. For search and rescue I guess I have two of the best dogs in the business just never thought of using them for that.

View attachment 224585
Suggestions on further reading with gun training? I’ve noticed that with the girlfriends weenie dog, she won’t even be in the same room if I unholster a pistol.
I had a blue tick a few years back. He was a wonderful dog, but easily the dumbest dog I have ever seen. I adopted him when he was 4 or so, some guy dropped him off at the OKc animal shelter with papers and all. Pretty sure the Previous owner did nothing with him other than chain him up in the back yard. He found a large chunk of concrete in the back pasture one day and spent 4 hours bawling at it until I went out and carried him into the house. I ended up having to give him to a raccoon hunter, he was too loud and I worked too much at the time to keep him. Almost lost my place to live. He’s prob gone by now, but I imagine he got to have plenty of time to go out and do what he loved for a long time. I’ve heard stories of blue ticks picking up the scent of animals acres away while riding in the back of a truck down the road, they’re fantastic trackers. And with that overgrown loudspeaker for a voice box, you would never have to worry about not knowing if they found someone in a SAR scenario.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 224591
I absolutely love dogs. I actually take the girlfriend mini weenie dog out on truck rides just because she wants to go drive around sometimes. I’ve always tried to take my dogs (or right now the girlfriends dogs) out with me whenever I can, even if I’m just running to the gas station. I just worry about having such a purpose bred dog, and not using it for what they were bred for. Almost feel like a disservice, and I wonder if their genetic traits would get in the way of me doing other hunting activities with them.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I absolutely love dogs. I actually take the girlfriend mini weenie dog out on truck rides just because she wants to go drive around sometimes. I’ve always tried to take my dogs (or right now the girlfriends dogs) out with me whenever I can, even if I’m just running to the gas station. I just worry about having such a purpose bred dog, and not using it for what they were bred for. Almost feel like a disservice, and I wonder if their genetic traits would get in the way of me doing other hunting activities with them.
Ok, I see what you’re getting at now.
In my opinion, if you give any pet a good and comfortable life, I don’t believe you would be doing them a disservice even if they’re not necessarily doing what they’re bred for. My Boykin is a classic example. She comes from duck hunting parents, but I believe my son (who was used to training hard headed male Labs) was too rough on her as a pup when he tried to train her. She ended up being gun shy and very skiddish. I’ve been able to get her over the gun shyness, but she still cowers when she comes up to me like she’s done something wrong. I’m still trying to love this out of her and build her confidence. She’s a great dog and extremely loyal.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with others here. I had a yellow Lab from a rescue group who would have made a fantastic gun dog - she loved the water, fetching boat fenders tossed into the lake, and not at all being fazed by gunshots. In fact, she would try to run next door to where they would set off fireworks on July 4th, just to be right there. I haven’t done any hunting in a long time, but I didn’t feel I was doing her a disservice - rather, she had a great home for the 12 of 15 years I had her, with no hunting involved.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll add 2 cents about search and rescue: I was thinking of getting into that several years ago. Took my dog to K9 University on NW Exp to have him evaluated; they said he had the nose for it.
Then they started telling me about the process to get certified. It's quite extensive and expensive. I would have had to get training in evidence preservation, on site trauma treatment, and so forth.
Then there's the dog training.

Bottom line, once fully trained you might get a call in the middle of the night during a storm, they'll give you a map and ask you to cover a section of land, maybe way out in the boonies, in the dark, in the rain, in the cold, crossing streams, rocks, whatever.

I decided I was too old for that, and didn't want to make the time and financial commitment.

Maybe there are other programs not so intensive, I don't know.

Something to consider, I'm sure it can be very rewarding.

Latest posts

Top Bottom