Getting a companion dog to take hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WPG, GSP, Weim’s, Vizsla are super high strung and gun training has to start earmy. I have A GSP and if you just handle a gun, and open the action or rack the slide, shes gone…..fire over her and you have to use GPS to find her. I also have a Bluetick and you could fire mortars over him without bothering him. For search and rescue I guess I have two of the best dogs in the business just never thought of using them for that.

View attachment 224585
love the German shorthairs

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work with a guy that has one of his dogs.

Less than a year old. They are in Montana right now, on their first hunting trip together.
Might be a bit of a reach, but I was wondering if you minded passing on my info to him? I wouldn’t mind exchanging a few emails with him.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I’ve decided that I’m getting a Drahthaar. Now to find a breeder. One guy I talked to was personable, regularly has top scoring dogs in the international field trials, and offers free training (cost of game excluded) one or two days a month during the summer but might not have a litter next year. Talked to Shelby Kervin and not only did he not answer any of my questions, but he spent the majority of the phone call talking down to me or insulting me. So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gus the Tactical Terrier is ready to chase pigs
20220109_182313.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still looking?
Sorta kinda. I had a deposit down on a Drahthaar puppy. I was #7 in line, but only had 3 puppies. Breeder told me at the beginning that if I didn’t get a pup from this litter that I could get one from the next litter or he would help me find a puppy from another breeder that he respects that fits my needs. Right now I’m trying to decide if I wanna wait until next spring for a puppy, or just go ahead with finding one now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom