Getting excited for youth season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taking my youngest daughter out this year for her first hunt. Been working my tail off to get my place ready for her this year and its starting to pay off. Any of the deer pictured below would make a nice first buck for her, hoping we get lucky come mid October.

The last two pictures are of the same buck. He is the biggest I have on the place (that I have pics of) and well known to me. I have 4 years worth of pics from him, watching him grow. Certainly a shooter this year.

Also what is amazing is having this many nice bucks on camera off only 400 acres. Man oh man has Oklahoma come a long way in 20 years. When I was hunting in high school, seeing this many nice deer would be unheard of. Keep up the good work guys! Keep shooting those does to fill the freezer and letting those young bucks walk! It pays off! I know
the topic of QDM is a hot debate, but in my opinion the ODWC has taken the right approach in managing for quality deer. Educate, educate, educate, and ultimately leave the decision up to the hunters!!!

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are some really nice bucks!!!

I'm also working to get my daughter her first buck, and I'm stressing out that the neighbors might kill the one I have picked for her before youth weekend.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the end I will let her shoot whatever she wants, even if its just a doe or a forkie or the likes. But knowing these guys are around makes it very exciting. Hoping the weather is good for those three days so we at least have a chance at getting her something!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Those are great bucks, hope you guys both have success with your kids this season! Just think what our bucks would be like if it were a one buck limit.........:thumbup3:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome! Some great bucks there!

I am excited, too. This year I am taking my son out with my neighbor to one of his friend's place. He has 80 acres. I am having to trade a shift with someone at work so I can be off on the right days, but I got that sorted out, so we're pretty set.

My next thought was what gun for him to use... I have mainly ARs, which are fine, but maybe a little heavy for him. My neighbor has a .270 and a lefty .308 and an SKS, but those might be a little much for him, really. He used a single-shot .410 to go out this spring, but you can't shoot anything smaller than 20g for deer. He's a pretty small guy, at 11 y/o and just about 70 lbs. But yesterday I finally completely finished my .300 Blackout SBR with the suppressor. I got to thinking, this actually could be a very good possibility for him... a 220-gr subsonic suppressed round could be a perfect deerslayer round in this circumstance. Where we're going to be set up, we won't be taking any shots over about 75 yards or so, which should still be fine.

So anyways, we gotta get out to the range and get it sighted in and see how well he can handle it. I can't wait!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One vote for the .300blkout AR. I've got one scoped and ready in a H&R single shot, suppressor ready if you need it, it won't see much action this year if any.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
300 blackout is a good choice for anything under 100 yds. Which really how many kids are gonna shoot over 100 yds? I know mine won't. My oldest daughter took her first deer with a youth sized 223 shooting 64 grain all copper bullets. In the span of a couple years however I managed to purchase from a relative a model 7 .222 that had the stock cut to fit my aunt. It was the gun I shot my first deer with when I was 11 and that's what we are taking this October for my youngest daughter.

Oh and I also have a 6.8 on AR platform suppressed we can use if needed.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son and I are getting geared up for that weekend. I am not sure who is more excited! He will be 8 this winter and this will be his very first hunt. I got him a Handi rifle in 300Blk a couple years ago with a Silencerco Harverster suppressor and a Bushnell red dot. I told him if he could shoot it well enough and display the right mindset, he could hunt. He shoots that rifle very well. It fits, it's quiet and there is almost zero recoil. I will go with the Barnes 110 Tac-TX because that is said to be the best, most ethical hunting round for deer.

I also picked up this chairpod this week. It will drastically change the way we set up by allowing him to keep the rifle up and somewhat on target while still being able to swivel into other positions.

media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_Primary_175_175846.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom