Getting fit - anyone else trying to turn it around?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really let myself go through the pandemic. Just started working out again. It’s just time to change it up. My goal is to lose about 50lbs by the end of the year. I’ve done it several times in my life. It gets harder every year to crawl out of the hole when you get behind.

One thing I noticed, just a little bit of exercise and improvement in diet totally reduces stress and improves outlook.

Anyone else getting started? If anyone wanted to get together for a hike or some hill climbs at Arcadia or somewhere I would be interested in that also.
I'd join ya Montesa but Edmond/N OKC is a bit far to drive from Tuttle. Like most of the others posting, I could use to shed a few pounds too or at least re-distribute some. 6'4" 220lbs @ 58. BUT, please don't tell me to just eat 10oz of meat a day! My biggest craving is beer after work. I need to use it as a reward for working out not as a reward for just making it through another day of work!

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got tired of seeing my fat arse in the mirror 3-4 years ago. I started working out, eating better, and ending up losing a lot of weight (100'ish) and feeling a whole lot better about myself.

Then, close to 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer. That kinda put a halt on things. I can't exercise the way that I want and my diet is at the complete mercy of nausea. I get bad nausea right after the chemo & immunotherapy treatments and can't eat anything, so I lose weight. Then, right before the next round I get my appetite back and I start eating anything that I can keep down, just to get ready for the next round.

I still have more weight to lose before I can contend for a supermodel status, but it's all kinda on hold for now!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got tired of seeing my fat arse in the mirror 3-4 years ago. I started working out, eating better, and ending up losing a lot of weight (100'ish) and feeling a whole lot better about myself.

Then, close to 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer. That kinda put a halt on things. I can't exercise the way that I want and my diet is at the complete mercy of nausea. I get bad nausea right after the chemo & immunotherapy treatments and can't eat anything, so I lose weight. Then, right before the next round I get my appetite back and I start eating anything that I can keep down, just to get ready for the next round.

I still have more weight to lose before I can contend for a supermodel status, but it's all kinda on hold for now!
Sounds like you have your mind right. Hang in there!

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Good luck with the fight.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Calorie restriction by any other name is still calorie restriction. There isn’t any magic to eating only one meal, meat only, or intermittent fasting. If they work for you that’s fine, but they aren’t universal fixes for every individual. There’s more to weight management that just the food, you are literally fighting your body’s natural urge to consume a caloric surplus which is difficult for a lot of people in an environment full of highly palatable caloric dense food.

Exercise is a wonderful addition to a weight loss program, but you’re not going to burn nearly the number of calories you think that you will. The main benefit of exercise is directing where your metabolism spends the calories that you consume.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Calorie restriction by any other name is still calorie restriction. There isn’t any magic to eating only one meal, meat only, or intermittent fasting. If they work for you that’s fine, but they aren’t universal fixes for every individual. There’s more to weight management that just the food, you are literally fighting your body’s natural urge to consume a caloric surplus which is difficult for a lot of people in an environment full of highly palatable caloric dense food.

Exercise is a wonderful addition to a weight loss program, but you’re not going to burn nearly the number of calories you think that you will. The main benefit of exercise is directing where your metabolism spends the calories that you consume.
CICO (calories in, calories out) is an absolute true formula for weight loss, weight gain, or maintenance.

Not everyone burns calories at the same rate, but no matter the rate, if you consume more calories than you burn - you will gain weight.

If you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

Period.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CICO (calories in, calories out) is an absolute true formula for weight loss, weight gain, or maintenance.

Not everyone burns calories at the same rate, but no matter the rate, if you consume more calories than you burn - you will gain weight.

If you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

Period.

There’s some interesting studies on metabolism, turns out we all burn about the same amount regardless of activity level. A larger person will burn more calories than s smaller person, but when you compensate for body size the calories burned is similar.

The protein, carbohydrate, and fat ratios don’t really matter as much if your eating a deficit. And you Absolutely need all of those in your diet, best if consumed from minimally processed whole foods. The occasional treat isn’t bad for you, and you could eat junk food and lose weight if you keep the calorie deficit.

When they studied the Hadza tribe in Africa, they are the closest thing to a hunter gatherer today, they consume 65% of their calories from honey. The rest of the diet is composed from game and tubers they dig out of the dirt. They also walk around 10 miles per day looking for food.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying to lose weight for years. I eat right 95% of the time with an occasional cheat day to keep my soul happy. I walk when ever weather permits. Problem is some of my meds cause weight gain and the docs do not want me outdoors unless the temp is about 45 and below 85. That limits a lot of what I can do. Tomorrow I have an appointment with a new doc since my old one no longer takes my insurance. Hopefully he will get me off some of this crap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom