Getting fit - anyone else trying to turn it around?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Calorie restriction by any other name is still calorie restriction. There isn’t any magic to eating only one meal, meat only, or intermittent fasting. If they work for you that’s fine, but they aren’t universal fixes for every individual. There’s more to weight management that just the food, you are literally fighting your body’s natural urge to consume a caloric surplus which is difficult for a lot of people in an environment full of highly palatable caloric dense food.

Exercise is a wonderful addition to a weight loss program, but you’re not going to burn nearly the number of calories you think that you will. The main benefit of exercise is directing where your metabolism spends the calories that you consume.
I believe there are great benefits to fasting.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@montesa if you’ve lost 50 pounds “several times” may I suggest trying something new? Reading all your posts sounds like you have your mind already made up as to what you’re going to do so good luck. It just dangerous gaining and losing so much weight. I’ve slowly been putting on weight over the years and when I had enough with holding my breath to put my socks on I called my daughter who’s an RD and a really good one at that. Went from 255 to 197 over the past year and a half and every time I see the doc (monthly) I’ve managed to lose a couple more pounds. Slow and consistent is what’s worked for me.
Why do you think it’s dangerous? Gaining and losing weight based on calories is exactly what are bodies are designed to do. I’ve never had any problems from losing weight. Only from being overweight.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done the 30-40 pound swing several times in my life. It was always easy to drop the weight in a couple months in my younger years. Considerably slower the last time at 50. I dropped to target weight on Keto with very mild added activity. Once I was about the weight I wanted, I rolled back into a more 'normal' diet and started weights in the gym. I rarely eat simple sugar, no soda etc. but it's really not missed much. Very moderate cardio. I'm probably in best shape I've been in since 20s and feel the plan is pretty sustainable.

All that said, now I'll probably have a stroke or something this afternoon.. lol.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you think it’s dangerous? Gaining and losing weight based on calories is exactly what are bodies are designed to do. I’ve never had any problems from losing weight. Only from being overweight.
My apologies. Like I said you seem to know exactly what you’re doing and it was my mistake to say anything. Carry On!

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m down 10 lbs so far goal is to lose 50 total. I have pretty much cut out soda, and have been tracking calories. I try to do a 24 hour fast twice a week, and I have been trying to exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
Do you notice any benefits from the 24 hour fast? In the past, I noticed fasting will cause my body to eat all the scar tissue. Had a scar on my finger since I was a kid, a two day fast and it was gone. Same with my ankle. Had a nasty scar from a motorcycle wreck and it just went flat and smooth after fasting.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 45 pounds lighter now than I was in January of 2020. I'm a cyclist and I ride lots of miles. I'm about to head out now for a 16 mile ride. Keep after it!
Wow. So you’ve recently done it. Were you cycling with the extra 45lbs or did you lose it when you started? Did you change your diet also?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d be all for losing a little weight if I didn’t have to work at it. :anyone:

Actually, I lost about 20lbs a couple years ago and have done pretty well keeping it off, but I could stand to lose about 10-15 more to get down to my “optimal” weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom