Getting fit - anyone else trying to turn it around?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason for consistent long term diet and exercise is strictly up to each person. What is important enough to make a person choose a protein shake over pizza year after year. I dunno what it might be for any one person, I do know that the majority of the time it won't be a doctor telling them to change their lifestyle. People get hot on the IDEA of exercise and go cold just as fast. In my gym rat days I always hated January, the gym would be full of "New Years Resolution" people but at least I knew that by February things would be back to normal. Diet and exercise just for the sake of diet and exercise almost always fails. There has to be reason that makes the negatives worth the effort.
It’s so true! Can’t believe the number of times I’ve had a New Years resolution to get fit. With a bunch of other people too that never did. You have to want to be your best self. That takes caring about yourself and a positive outlook on the future. That can be hard to muster when you’re fat and sick. It’s often accompanied with other unhealthy behaviors as well.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We retired young, 56 so we could do some things travel, etc, and would more likely be in good ebnough health to be able to do this. We both started doing some moderate exercise, treadmill, or dailey walks, etc. We have stopped, and started this several times, but have the distinction of owning the only worn out treadmill in Oklahoma! 20 years, two knees, and one hip replacement, later, and I have had to replace the worn out treadmill, used ones that are like new condition are easy to find1 I have had to get off my fat ass and start again, only much less strenuous, workout regime. The motivation this time was I have gotten so fat, and stiff, I can no longer wipe my own rear, I can't reach it! I ask my sweet wife if she would be willing to do this for me, and she made it clear, she would NOT! After only about three weeks, of 5 days per week, 30 minutes a day, exercise, and I can take care of this function myself!! I p[lan on keeping this up at least enough to keep rigormortis at bay for a while!

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went back to the gym yesterday. First time in way too long. Spent a little time on the stationary bicycle, my favorite. Keeps the legs moving but no stress on my feet (flat feet). Then a little time lifting weights and realizing I'm weak as a snail.

But I was there, that's the habit I need to start, getting to the gym. Being around people working to improve their health is a good group to be around.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really let myself go through the pandemic. Just started working out again. It’s just time to change it up. My goal is to lose about 50lbs by the end of the year. I’ve done it several times in my life. It gets harder every year to crawl out of the hole when you get behind.

One thing I noticed, just a little bit of exercise and improvement in diet totally reduces stress and improves outlook.

Anyone else getting started? If anyone wanted to get together for a hike or some hill climbs at Arcadia or somewhere I would be interested in that also.
I am. Fasting and eating mostly meat and salad no carbs

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1659919294419.png

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long have you been fasting? What’s your longest fast? Seeing any benefits?
I have been fasting for a few weeks, longes fast was 36 hours so far, I was on a 24 yesterday but I had split wood and tore down an old deck basically worked my tail off all day at my sons house and had to call it quits at 26. You do feel better after a fast. Dr. Berg among others can explain the processes that occur during a fast

Okieyote

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m down 40# since January and so far maintaining it. The older I get the more I have to stay on track with eating and exercise. But I sure like the payoff. Feel better and blood sugar is back to normal. New clothes are damn expensive though. Smh

Latest posts

Top Bottom