Getting harassed by a drone while hunting, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should be fine. I used the drone launch academy online, it was honestly a pretty nice course. I think it was $150 and I can log on for life to freshen up whenever needed or to catch up before recertification. I also think they’ll refund you your test fees if you fail.
Good to know! Thanks man appreciate the info!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A drone cannot fly with in 30 Meters of a person.
So if a drone is within 30 Meters of you throw a stick in the air and shoot at the stick with your shotgun (to test shotgun)
Drone Pilot buzzed you while target shooting (Pilot is breaking the law)

Can you cite that law, please?

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
A drone cannot fly with in 30 Meters of a person.
So if a drone is within 30 Meters of you throw a stick in the air and shoot at the stick with your shotgun (to test shotgun)
Drone Pilot buzzed you while target shooting (Pilot is breaking the law)
Good idea, I can't help but wonder if that would work with bicycle riders, that can LEGALLY run stop signs in Oklahoma now? I guess most state law makers rie bicycles? Did anyone hear a justification for this new law?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you cite that law, please?
@Uncle TK theyve changed the laws the past few months. Provided you have the proper licensing or training you can now operate your UAS over people, moving vehicles, and at night.
That does not remedy this situation though. The FAA’s part 107 rules are, like a lot of other laws, largely open to interpretation. Situational awareness and ensuring that your operation of the UAS isn’t harmful or endangering to others is a huge thing in the rule book. While it may be legal (assuming the operator was licensed, aircraft registered, educated, operating within line of sight, not harassing wildlife, and obeying local airspace rules) to be flying over individuals, it could be argued that the pilot was endangering others considering he was buzzing individuals who were handling firearms.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/operations_over_people/

Last edited:

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Uncle TK theyve changed the laws the past few months. Provided you have the proper licensing or training you can now operate your uas over people, moving vehicles, and at night.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/operations_over_people/

• Category 3 small UAS have further operating restrictions. A remote pilot in command may not operate a small unmanned aircraft over open-air assemblies of human beings. Additionally, a remote pilot in command may only operate a small unmanned aircraft over people if:
    • The operation is within or over a closed- or restricted-access site and all people on site are on notice that a small UAS may fly over them; or
    • The small unmanned aircraft does not maintain sustained flight over any person unless that person is participating directly in the operation or located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
  • Category 3 small UAS have further operating restrictions. A remote pilot in command may not operate a small unmanned aircraft over open-air assemblies of human beings. Additionally, a remote pilot in command may only operate a small unmanned aircraft over people if:
    • The operation is within or over a closed- or restricted-access site and all people on site are on notice that a small UAS may fly over them; or
    • The small unmanned aircraft does not maintain sustained flight over any person unless that person is participating directly in the operation or located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

What about the 30-meter restriction you mentioned? Or has that been eliminated in the current rules?

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s illegal. The landowner doesn’t own the airspace.
Depends on how high the drone is. Public airspace doesn’t start at the ground. I work for a security company. We started selling anti-drone security. This wouldn’t be a cost efficient method for the problem stated. If it was my land or leased land I would have no problem using a shotgun on one. Pretty safe to say if you hit it in a shotgun blast, it’s trespassing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom