Getting harassed by a drone while hunting, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my opinions on this. I wasn't aware of it, but I've run up against something similar in Western OK. There is a big 'ole swath of river bottom that is on public land, but the only way in is across a private landowner, and they will not allow access. The local DWC guy knows a legal way in, at least he told me he did, but he wouldn't tell us how to do it. I don't know how many acres of land is down in there, but it's a bunch. It's big enough you couldn't bird hunt it all in a weekend, and the public that paid for it has little or no access.

I got a little pissed at the state paid employee that wouldn't help us, but he just said that wasn't part of his job. In that I suppose, he was correct.

Private landowners making it impossible for the tax paying public to access land that is held in the public trust for all of us to enjoy doesn't seem proper, but it happens every single day.

I'm sure landowners of large swaths of land feel differently.
Where’s this at? I have a sweet little canoe that needs used.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my opinions on this. I wasn't aware of it, but I've run up against something similar in Western OK. There is a big 'ole swath of river bottom that is on public land, but the only way in is across a private landowner, and they will not allow access. The local DWC guy knows a legal way in, at least he told me he did, but he wouldn't tell us how to do it. I don't know how many acres of land is down in there, but it's a bunch. It's big enough you couldn't bird hunt it all in a weekend, and the public that paid for it has little or no access.

I got a little pissed at the state paid employee that wouldn't help us, but he just said that wasn't part of his job. In that I suppose, he was correct.

Private landowners making it impossible for the tax paying public to access land that is held in the public trust for all of us to enjoy doesn't seem proper, but it happens every single day.

Might look into the Onex app. Cost $10 or so for a year that shows property lines and property owners to find that secret path in there.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I could find the case now. There was a case a good many years back that the hunters or OWDC sued the landowner in Oklahoma and the state determined since the land was inaccessible, the owner had to allow them to cross.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm thinking I know of the patch of ground you're referencing. Come in from the north side and walk across the river where it's dry. That's all ODWC land owned by ACE.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could find the case now. There was a case a good many years back that the hunters or OWDC sued the landowner in Oklahoma and the state determined since the land was inaccessible, the owner had to allow them to cross.
You cannot be land locked if you own private ground. Accessing public ground across private is still subject to trespass.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
You cannot be land locked if you own private ground. Accessing public ground across private is still subject to trespass.
Actually, I was looking at a piece of property that is selling cheap. Surrounded by private land and no ROW, so it's actually listed as no access.

But there was a case here in Oklahoma (I'm going to look for it too) where the state told the private land owner that since their property was the shortest route to the land locked public land, they would have to allow people to walk across to and from it. I remember thinking that would set precedent.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I was looking at a piece of property that is selling cheap. Surrounded by private land and no ROW, so it's actually listed as no access.

But there was a case here in Oklahoma (I'm going to look for it too) where the state told the private land owner that since their property was the shortest route to the land locked public land, they would have to allow people to walk across to and from it. I remember thinking that would set precedent.
I was looking at a school land 40 acre patch once that was landlocked. The private landowner that surrounded it claimed nobody could get to if when it sold because he wouldn't allow a right of way because he wanted it cheap.
He was wrong. I didn't get the land but a friend did that had deep pockets and forced the issue.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My place is land locked, but I have two legal easements (from the north and south). The land owner with access to the middle part of my place wouldn’t give/sell an easement, but the road in was an oil field road leading to a well on my place. We ended up with an “easement by prescription“, because the land owner’s family we bought the property from had been using the road for 40 years. I talked to an attorney and was going to sue for easement, and the attorney said it would be a slam dunk. I ended up dragging my feet, and the bridge over the Salt Fork on that access road washed out in 2019.
All of a sudden the land owners family started calling me and wanting me to contact the Corporation Commission to get them to force the oil company to rebuild the road because they had about 600 acres they couldn’t access (easily) now. I ended up making an agreement with the oil company to move the road and gave them access to the well from another part of my place and cut that land owner out of the equation.
For the record, the well is basically dead and isn’t in any way a threat to the environment, and I guess because of this fact the oil company hasn’t done anything to regain access to the well. :anyone:

I say all that to say that according to the attorney and realtor I talked to easements aren’t supposed to be hard to get in OK.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom