Getting harassed by a drone while hunting, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pilot must have a direct line of sight to the drone, so if you’re certain that’s not happening, it’s a FAA violation. If you know where the pilot might be flying from, you could stop by and inform them of that, and ask that they not harass you while you’re hunting.
They were breaking more FAA laws off the top of my head than I can count on one hand. I have my commercial UAV license, and like to think im relatively familiar with that stuff.
If it is over land you own or lease, shoot it down.
It was on public ODWC land sadly. Either way, wouldn’t it be considered destruction of property?
Do they float? :lookaroun
___
Lol nope.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s illegal. The landowner doesn’t own the airspace.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’ve just never heard of this. I know if you don’t own minerals then you just own the surface rights.

I just always figured if you own the surface you’d own what’s above it, barring any existing easements.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’ve just never heard of this. I know if you don’t own minerals then you just own the surface rights.

I just always figured if you own the surface you’d own what’s above it, barring any existing easements.

That’s what a lot of people think, but the airspace in the US is free to all, barring restrictions like around airports and military installations, and the FAA controls that airspace. There also are restrictions such as not flying over crowds of people or moving vehicles without proper training and licensing and propeller guards, etc. Otherwise, you can fly a drone up to 400 feet AGL in Class G airspace over just about any piece of land (or water.)

What a landowner can restrict is operating a drone while on his or her property. In other words, they can trespass a drone pilot from their land. But if that pilot goes to the public road and stands on the public easement and flies the drone back over the landowner’s property, not much they can do. Legally.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s what a lot of people think, but the airspace in the US is free to all, barring restrictions like around airports and military installations, and the FAA controls that airspace. There also are restrictions such as not flying over crowds of people or moving vehicles without proper training and licensing and propeller guards, etc. Otherwise, you can fly a drone up to 400 feet AGL in Class G airspace over just about any piece of land (or water.)

What a landowner can restrict is operating a drone while on his or her property. In other words, they can trespass a drone pilot from their land. But if that pilot goes to the public road and stands on the public easement and flies the drone back over the landowner’s property, not much they can do. Legally.
Yep. I agree with all you stated here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom