Getting harassed by a drone while hunting, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Twice this year I’ve had run ins with drones while hunting, the first time was just a half second higher altitude flyover, but today I dealt with the drone at about 50ft up, hovering over me for about 4 minutes. Ended up running off the pair of woodcocks I was chasing, and then after observing the two ponds in the area (that I was working towards to jump shoot some ducks on), they then buzzed the ponds and ran off the ducks. Honestly, I was beyond irritated. It’s illegal to harass wildlife or scout public land with a drone, but that doesn’t give me the right to shoot it out of the sky. Destroying someone else’s property when I’m a half mile from my truck is just asking for my truck to get vandalized as well. But what can I do? What would you guys do?

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had someone buzzing my deer stand last season I know your pain. Could probably call the game warden but don’t know how much they would be able to do about it.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks. Definitely don’t shoot it. Could it be some Wild life officers with a new toy? Are there any houses nearby? I would make a fold up cardboard sign that said “please go somewhere else. Thank you.”

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pilot must have a direct line of sight to the drone, so if you’re certain that’s not happening, it’s a FAA violation. If you know where the pilot might be flying from, you could stop by and inform them of that, and ask that they not harass you while you’re hunting.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had someone buzzing my deer stand last season I know your pain. Could probably call the game warden but don’t know how much they would be able to do about it.
Yeah, I doubt there is really anything they can do, and they likely have bigger fish to fry.
That sucks. Definitely don’t shoot it. Could it be some Wild life officers with a new toy? Are there any houses nearby? I would make a fold up cardboard sign that said “please go somewhere else. Thank you.”
Man it was tempting not to. I doubt it was, given how they were flying it. It also was a middle of the road civilian model, as opposed to the standard model marketed to gov agencies and LEOs. I stared at it the entire time it hovered above me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom