Getting harassed by a drone while hunting, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You were shooting at the birds you were hunting when the drone literally flew in the way.

How do you prove the hunter lying? Then the owner had better be able to prove they had registered the drone, and was obeying all FAA and local laws in its use (such as filming someone against their will/harassment/no fly zones etc...).

I'm not saying that you might not have to buy an expensive drone in replacement...but leftist Larry and his drone might not be in the position to call the authorities on you and have to eat the drone themselves. They can be as pissed as they want, but you can just offer to call the warden/police and file the reports.

I will never be right in this situation...but I don't have it in me to sit there and take it either.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You were shooting at the birds you were hunting when the drone literally flew in the way.

How do you prove the hunter lying? Then the owner had better be able to prove they had registered the drone, and was obeying all FAA and local laws in its use (such as filming someone against their will/harassment/no fly zones etc...).

I'm not saying that you might not have to buy an expensive drone in replacement...but leftist Larry and his drone might not be in the position to call the authorities on you and have to eat the drone themselves. They can be as pissed as they want, but you can just offer to call the warden/police and file the reports.

I will never be right in this situation...but I don't have it in me to sit there and take it either.
The video from the drone… people have shot drones, it’s not ended well for them. Better to have the feds deal with them, as no line of site is most likely a federal rules violation.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Game wardens like helping hunters out. I’d look up the one for the county you were in and call them on their cell phone, it’s posted on the OWDC website. The drone flyers know exactly what they’re doing and will continue until someone makes them stop. You and others are in for more harassment if someone doesn’t stop them. Might as well be the law.

Last edited:

AlleyGirl

Marksman
Reaction score
Twice this year I’ve had run ins with drones while hunting, the first time was just a half second higher altitude flyover, but today I dealt with the drone at about 50ft up, hovering over me for about 4 minutes. Ended up running off the pair of woodcocks I was chasing, and then after observing the two ponds in the area (that I was working towards to jump shoot some ducks on), they then buzzed the ponds and ran off the ducks. Honestly, I was beyond irritated. It’s illegal to harass wildlife or scout public land with a drone, but that doesn’t give me the right to shoot it out of the sky. Destroying someone else’s property when I’m a half mile from my truck is just asking for my truck to get vandalized as well. But what can I do? What would you guys do?
I am an FAA 107 certified pilot as well, and if I were you, I would try to find out the name of the person flying it and contact the FAA. If registered, it is considered a felony to shoot it down. If you can find out who it is and report them the FAA can handle it....if they haven't registered it with the FAA, they are in violation so in my opinion it's fair game!

AlleyGirl

Marksman
Reaction score
Also, I do remember in my training that wildlife refuge areas are off limits below a certain altitude....I can look back and find out the specifics on that (wasn't an issue for me so I don't remember the specifics), or someone else might have already posted it (haven't read all the posts). You might contact the game warden as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom