Getting ready 285 lbs of sinkers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have enough sinkers now for a little while.
285 lbs of them.. 60 lbs going to my 2nd cousin near Henryetta. Keep him stocked for awhile.

I have been at the melting pot all day.. but this took more than a day.
1/2 oz , 1 oz , 2-3-4 and 5 ounce, all bank sinkers.

Pictures or it did not happen. Those are old steel coffee cans and 1 paint bucket.
That paint bucket is the largest and is full of 2 ounce weights, a tick over 40 lbs.

022.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's a lifetime worth for me.

Yea you would think it would last .
But fishing in the area Kwaynem fishes you can count on heading home with much less lead than you came with.
Or the area In my avatar.
I tie on a weaker leader to my sinker as you need to hang up on the bottom and you also need it to break off when a fish gets on.
Darn the river fishing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I have used them for that and to slide down the fishing line to unhook a bass lure from a stick up.

I also use spark plugs for cleaning grinding stones.
Bench grinder stones and stones you chuck up in a drill or die grinder can be shaped or cleaned with the ceramic body of the spark plug.
I found that out by messing around in the garage grinding different things trying to shape some stones for head porting.

I have used sticks for bobbers and rocks for sinkers when I was a kid.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been buying and collecting lead since I was 12 and using it up as I get it most of the time.

But the last 10 years I have really put the squeeze on getting lead.
During the 22 ammo scare I had plenty of 22 and gave a lot away for free and traded some for lead.
I had a friend that is now dead Carl was his name he owned C&J metals and I traded him copper for lead and many times just bought the lead and he would call me when he got some good stuff.

Standard iron and metal had lead last year usually $1 a pound after taxes.
I got to pick through wheel weights and plumbing pipe.
Recently did some haul off and got a door that was lined with lead on one side.
Just a tick under 100 lbs there of pure soft lead.

And one more place I get lead is the place I got it when I was 12.
Off the road for free.
Walk the highway entrances and exit ramps and walk gutters that have a lot of traffic like in front of walmart where other businesses are at.

I got tires last year put on my car and walmart was 1/2 a mile away in Yukon ok.
I walked the highway on both sides and hit all the ramps and got 4 16 oz bottles full of wheel weights Lead ones..I left the zinc and steel ones.
Picked up some groceries and walked back to the tire place.

Guys in the tire store gave me a small box of wheel weights 80% was not lead.
I also walk the rip rap and shorelines when the water is down and get lures and lead when i am out fishing.

One more place is the shooting ranges Public ones usually have a lot of lead laying on the ground at the base of the berms.
If no one is there you can pick up a lot of it..People there usually want to shoot.
No one in the early mornings usually.
But I have only got it there a couple times.
Lots of FMJ stuff.

I was just thinking I could trade toilet paper or face masks for lead in this Corona scare.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been buying and collecting lead since I was 12 and using it up as I get it most of the time.

But the last 10 years I have really put the squeeze on getting lead.
During the 22 ammo scare I had plenty of 22 and gave a lot away for free and traded some for lead.
I had a friend that is now dead Carl was his name he owned C&J metals and I traded him copper for lead and many times just bought the lead and he would call me when he got some good stuff.

Standard iron and metal had lead last year usually $1 a pound after taxes.
I got to pick through wheel weights and plumbing pipe.
Recently did some haul off and got a door that was lined with lead on one side.
Just a tick under 100 lbs there of pure soft lead.

And one more place I get lead is the place I got it when I was 12.
Off the road for free.
Walk the highway entrances and exit ramps and walk gutters that have a lot of traffic like in front of walmart where other businesses are at.

I got tires last year put on my car and walmart was 1/2 a mile away in Yukon ok.
I walked the highway on both sides and hit all the ramps and got 4 16 oz bottles full of wheel weights Lead ones..I left the zinc and steel ones.
Picked up some groceries and walked back to the tire place.

Guys in the tire store gave me a small box of wheel weights 80% was not lead.
I also walk the rip rap and shorelines when the water is down and get lures and lead when i am out fishing.

One more place is the shooting ranges Public ones usually have a lot of lead laying on the ground at the base of the berms.
If no one is there you can pick up a lot of it..People there usually want to shoot.
No one in the early mornings usually.
But I have only got it there a couple times.
Lots of FMJ stuff.

I was just thinking I could trade toilet paper or face masks for lead in this Corona scare.
Great effort at getting the lead. I know you only need soft lead for the fishing weights which is why I asked. I thought you might have been getting it from old lead pipes, shower pans, flashing, etc.

I'm always on the look-out for lead also, especially wheel weight hardness or better. I use Rotometals Super Hard to harden my scrounged lead up to 17 BHN.

Latest posts

Top Bottom