Getting started gunsmithing woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuidskout

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
(Hopefully correct forum category) Recently I purchased some basic tools required for "gunsmithing"/restoration. I don't really do much in my spare time aside from watch tv and I wanted a new hobby, figured id try fixing up some junk guns and maybe id learn something.

So far, the only thing I have learned is that it is very difficult to find broken, rusty or junk guns, and if I go to a place that DID have some, usually a practicing gunsmith already has dibs (understandable).

Where should I be looking for project guns?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day I use to buy a lot at gun shows. I do not know if you can still find any or not. I still try to keep an eye out for el-cheapos just to have something to tinker with.

Zuidskout

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day I use to buy a lot at gun shows. I do not know if you can still find any or not. I still try to keep an eye out for el-cheapos just to have something to tinker with.
Will keep in mind, have money burning hole in my pocket and i'm on the hunt for good and bad guns.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Problem I have run into is some folks put too much value in their abused weapons and you will not be able to make a profit after repairs . Right now is especially hard cause everyone is buying at inflated prices.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your getting into gunsmithing, I would be cracking into good quality working guns before I try and tackle things that are all boogered up. Better to learn and practice assembly/disassembly and observe proper working function. There’s no point in putting $200 worth of labor into a $50 pos pistol so you can Make it worth $100

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your getting into gunsmithing, I would be cracking into good quality working guns before I try and tackle things that are all boogered up. Better to learn and practice assembly/disassembly and observe proper working function. There’s no point in putting $200 worth of labor into a $50 pos pistol so you can Make it worth $100

But it is better to practice your skills on a POS firearm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom