Getting started in youth shooting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest starting out with a Ruger 10/22, since 22 LR ammo is inexpensive. And the rifle is easy to sell if he ends up not being interested. It can be used for Steel Challenge as well as CMP Sportster. Sadly, the youth shooting sports are not very active in public schools in the metro area. But the 4H groups outside of the metro are usually pretty active with at least shotgun sports.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
@dennishoddy and @Hangfire both brought up good points. It is important to teach your child that they have to be an active part of the group once he finds something he likes. The few dollars you pay toward matches aren't going into the guys doing the works pocket. As I said I don't shoot SASS but since my son does we joined the club he shoots with most. I paid for a membership to SASS and he paid for his. I try and help anywhere I can. No reason to stand around and do nothing for 3 hours. My son also helps wherever is appropriate and in the rules. The folks running these matches have a thankless job and can use all the help they can get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom