Getting started reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a used Lee Pro 1000 with a bunch of extras and I have a couple of questions for those who are familiar with this loader and setup. Here's what I've got:

Pro 1000
Pro disc powder measure
Lee Adjustable Charge Bar
Three complete carriers #1, #2 and #19 (.357, .45ACP and 9mm/40S&W) with appropriate primer feeders
Small and large case feeders.
9mm and .45ACP 3-piece die sets

I also have a pair of small bullet feeders:

9mm .365-.46 length
9mm .61-.75 length

It's really mostly about the bullet feeders that I have my questions...

They each have small and large tubes. Not sure why, but ok.

I am wanting to get a .45 ACP bullet feeder as well - do I buy the entire .45 ACP bullet feed kit ($48), or can I just use a new set of feed die and fingers ($15)?

Also... I have my current bullet feed kit attached, but looking at the action rod going up from the attach plate to the feeder link looks angled, not straight up and down.
Never mind this - I just saw in the instructions, I need to move the action rod to the inner hole on the Pro 1000, the outer is for the Load Master.

So I guess... I'm just looking at the bullet feeder question. And of course, any tips and tricks on this setup anyone wants to throw in. :D

Here's how it looks at the moment:

Also wanting to get the Auto-Drum Powder Measure. So if anyone has experience with that, I'd appreciate input.

Thanks!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your 45 cases drop down the tube and through the black plastic base i see no reason why you need any other parts.
Now the finger that pushes the case may be longer for the 9mm as it is smaller diameter.

This may create a binding situation when feeding fatter cases as they will try to be pushed farther than the shell plate has room for.

When things bind the rod that moves the bullet feed slide will bend sometimes and you will play with it for a bit to make it correct again.

Keep the primer feed slide at least 1/2 full if you get under 1/2 the primers do not have enough pressure pushing on them and they will sometimes enter the primer pocket sideways..
Tap Tap Tap on the primer tray to keep primers flowing.

Sometimes a case will not get pushed all the way in the shell holder slot this will cause an issue.. no biggie just push it in with your finger.
Watch out when you go to pull the handle down to make the shell plate go up ..if it stops about 1" up you may have a case in the loading finger area that moved towards the shell plate and has created a bind.

Take it slow and pay attention you will crank out good ammo.

I have the lee disc powder measure on mine and had to file the aluminum housing to tighten the clearance Zero powder leaking.

The thing is crazy accurate with Bullseye powder.
In less than a year i almost emptied my 4lb jug of Bullseye.. at less than 5gr at a time. And i do not do any shooting events.. just plinking at the ranges now and then.

Barn Dog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep a can of compressed air on your bench, comes in real handy for cleaning powder and debris out of the primer feed. I'll repeat what swamprat said about keeping the primer tray full as possible. the primer feed gets real finicky if its low or dirty.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Run about 10 or so rounds of powder through the swstem into the cases and do not measure these just dump them back into the hopper do not tap on the hopper when dumping the powder back in.
Then run a case of powder and weigh it,, then run another and weigh it and 1 more and see if they are all really close.

If so you are ready to go.

I like the lee 4 die sets.. as i feel the 4th die the factory carbide crimp die really makes a nice finished round.
I do not crimp the round i only use it to iron out the case mouth flare.

So that 3 die setup I use primed sized cases and first station is the flare and powder drop.

Or sometimes i run seating as last and size and prime on press then on a single stage i use the 4th die

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The only issues I had with mine were the ones swampratt pointed out. Tap the primers and you may have to push some cases the rest of the way in to the shell holder.
The only other thing I will mention is, keep an eye on your primers and powder. Don't get 'in the zone' while loading and let them run out. I would have to clear the machine of the partially loaded rounds and refill everything. Kind of a pita.
Good luck!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only issues I had with mine were the ones swampratt pointed out. Tap the primers and you may have to push some cases the rest of the way in to the shell holder.
The only other thing I will mention is, keep an eye on your primers and powder. Don't get 'in the zone' while loading and let them run out. I would have to clear the machine of the partially loaded rounds and refill everything. Kind of a pita.
Good luck!

Yeah.... anyone know of any way to rig a power alarm or a power-drop fail alarm with this loader?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Lee auto disc powder measure and the pro auto disc measure and they have never failed to drop powder into a case.
Just keep the hopper 1/4 full or more and no issues.

I have never ran it lower than 1/4 full so I have no idea what will happen

Latest posts

Top Bottom