Getting title for a trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok...can anybody assist a buddy here?
He bought an enclosed trailer new in 2010 and since OK doesnt require tags, he never messed with the title.
He now wants to sell it. The dealer he bought it from only keeps records for 5 years so is there a way to get a title or would it have to be bill of sale only?
I have a friend in Texas who is interested in it but in TX he would need a title....so trying to help both of them get something worked out.

Thanks for any advice.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the title can not be found or was never available generally a written notarized bill of sale is sufficient. If it is going to Texas I would have the friend who wants to buy it call and ask since it is coming from Oklahoma. They likely deal with this often enough for it to be a non issue.

It's kinda like the non motorized boats you can buy at a store like academy or may get from someone else cheap or free. Take a bill of sale to the tag agency and fill out the paperwork.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the title can not be found or was never available generally a written notarized bill of sale is sufficient. If it is going to Texas I would have the friend who wants to buy it call and ask since it is coming from Oklahoma. They likely deal with this often enough for it to be a non issue.

It's kinda like the non motorized boats you can buy at a store like academy or may get from someone else cheap or free. Take a bill of sale to the tag agency and fill out the paperwork.

This ^^^^^^.
I bought a canoe from a guy that moved to Ok from Georgia.
It had to be registered and tagged with boat numbers in Ok. I took the bill of sale to the tag office with s/n and got it tagged easily.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually the new Ok laws did away with registration of kayaks and canoes with both ends pointed. Mine has a square stern and is rated for 5hp, hence the need for registration.
I had one of the little pedal boats that was given to me and at one point when I was going to look into using it I was going to have to go through all of the registration. Ended up never doing anything and giving it away.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP but years ago I built a teardrop trailer and had to get it tagged. In the process they said it had to have a serial number so I took it home and got out the stencil stamp and put some numbers on the trailer tongue and they tagged the thing.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP but years ago I built a teardrop trailer and had to get it tagged. In the process they said it had to have a serial number so I took it home and got out the stencil stamp and put some numbers on the trailer tongue and they tagged the thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom