Girl Scout Murders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still think my late uncle had something to do with the two girls that dissapeared from the state fair years ago. He bragged about it once before he died but I never knew if I should believe him or not. He lied about everything but I know he at least tried to kill a few times.

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was home on leave when that happened, a friend and I were staying in his Dad`s little cabin down by Big Hollow for a couple of days while attending an outside concert on the Illinois river. We had no idea that happened until we got back to Claremore...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Post-It notes version of what this series covers.

1) Sheriff was in no way qualified to investigate a murder, much less a blockbuster case like this.

2) Sheriff was probably butthurt over being shown up by Hart for a couple of years of running from him before the murders. He had broken out of his jail and remained at large.

3) Sheriff manufactured and planted evidence to frame Hart as the culprit.

4) Sheriff told his entire department if anyone brought Hart in alive they would be fired.

5) Jury was aware of sheriff's shenanigans.

6) Jury deemed that one person could not have possibly pulled this off and acquitted.

7) Incoming sheriff was flying blind on getting to bottom of it. (Prior sheriff took all the case files).

8) High school teacher got a hold of the files and connected most of the dots.

9) High school teacher got interviews with Hart family members.

10) High school teacher ran into a brick wall at every turn trying to get OSBI or any other agency to look at it again.

11) High school teacher was getting major interest and help from a cold case unit in Tulsa made up of seasoned investigators and retired FBI agents. Then they suddenly went silent and refused to talk to her.

12) Current sheriff and OSBI have taken another look and because of DNA stated that nobody else is involved.

13) To this day the official story is Gene Leroy Hart is the only one that did it.

14) Ironically, McGirt may actually allow this to get solved eventually. The Cherokee Marshals have appointed a task force to it and have assigned detectives. They have all of the original case files the the high school teacher acquired from the family of the sheriff.

15) Original sheriff was probably correct that Hart was in on it.​

That's just some of the stuff that comes to mind, there's a LOT more to it. It's pretty fascinating to watch them put the pieces together and downright maddening that nobody is interested in solving it. The antics that continue to this day 45 years later from law enforcement definitely raises eyebrows...

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Post-It notes version of what this series covers.

1) Sheriff was in no way qualified to investigate a murder, much less a blockbuster case like this.

2) Sheriff was probably butthurt over being shown up by Hart for a couple of years of running from him before the murders. He had broken out of his jail and remained at large.

3) Sheriff manufactured and planted evidence to frame Hart as the culprit.

4) Sheriff told his entire department if anyone brought Hart in alive they would be fired.

5) Jury was aware of sheriff's shenanigans.

6) Jury deemed that one person could not have possibly pulled this off and acquitted.

7) Incoming sheriff was flying blind on getting to bottom of it. (Prior sheriff took all the case files).

8) High school teacher got a hold of the files and connected most of the dots.

9) High school teacher got interviews with Hart family members.

10) High school teacher ran into a brick wall at every turn trying to get OSBI or any other agency to look at it again.

11) High school teacher was getting major interest and help from a cold case unit in Tulsa made up of seasoned investigators and retired FBI agents. Then they suddenly went silent and refused to talk to her.

12) Current sheriff and OSBI have taken another look and because of DNA stated that nobody else is involved.

13) To this day the official story is Gene Leroy Hart is the only one that did it.

14) Ironically, McGirt may actually allow this to get solved eventually. The Cherokee Marshals have appointed a task force to it and have assigned detectives. They have all of the original case files the the high school teacher acquired from the family of the sheriff.

15) Original sheriff was probably correct that Hart was in on it.​

That's just some of the stuff that comes to mind, there's a LOT more to it. It's pretty fascinating to watch them put the pieces together and downright maddening that nobody is interested in solving it. The antics that continue to this day 45 years later from law enforcement definitely raises eyebrows...

Things that make you go ‘hmmmm’. You seem to be pretty in the know on this case. I don’t know much about it other than I didn’t learn of it until after my son and I had camped with his troop out there a couple times. Actually saw it on a YouTube video at a later date.
I thought DNA had linked Hart conclusively to the murders? Or is that just “what they said” so that it would go away?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things that make you go ‘hmmmm’. You seem to be pretty in the know on this case. I don’t know much about it other than I didn’t learn of it until after my son and I had camped with his troop out there a couple times. Actually saw it on a YouTube video at a later date.
I thought DNA had linked Hart conclusively to the murders? Or is that just “what they said” so that it would go away?
I'm no expert. lol I do remember it though, but I learned most of it from this series.

It sure looks like Hart's DNA was there. But there's a bunch of other evidence to look at too. A bloody boot print inside the tent that was not Hart's for instance. A fingerprint that wasn't Hart's. Wounds from different objects. The fact that the original jury didn't buy he acted alone, one juror spoke out about it after trail. It just goes on and on. They just don't seem interested for reasons unfathomable.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a book, Someone Cry for the Children written by Dick Wilkerson and his brother from the OSBI and iirc they both investigated this. It's been years since I read it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom