Giving GunBroker A Try

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can find a really big box (like an appliance came in), you might be able to measure the size you need, cut the cardboard accordingly and then fold it inside out (so plain cardboard is facing out).
Then put the factory Remington box inside and tape it up really, really good maybe?
Just guessing at a solution.
That's possible. I have access to some very large boxes at work, which may end up being the route I go. I found some proper sized boxes online, but I'd have to buy a bundle (usually at least 15) because they do not sell them individually. I'll call around to some shops in OKC on Monday to see if I can find anything. I'm looking for something at least 55x8x4 to cover the dimensions of the Remington box. I've got a little bit of time though. I spoke with the buyer today (seemed like a very nice guy). He elected to pay for the shotgun via USPS Money Order. Going that route, it'll take a couple of days for it to arrive, which gives me a little time to source a proper sized box.

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's possible. I have access to some very large boxes at work, which may end up being the route I go. I found some proper sized boxes online, but I'd have to buy a bundle (usually at least 15) because they do not sell them individually. I'll call around to some shops in OKC on Monday to see if I can find anything. I'm looking for something at least 55x8x4 to cover the dimensions of the Remington box. I've got a little bit of time though. I spoke with the buyer today (seemed like a very nice guy). He elected to pay for the shotgun via USPS Money Order. Going that route, it'll take a couple of days for it to arrive, which gives me a little time to source a proper sized box.

You could also use brown paper shopping bags or similar paper to wrap the box in if there is sufficient padding/protection inside.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind are the fees Gunbroker charges . . . almost as bad if not worse than eBay.
Many GunBroker sellers are moving to other sites........Guns International,.... due to selling costs and GB now imposes state sales tax for states....more all the time....imposing sales tax collection for online purchases. Just bought an O/U shotgun on GI..Just as smooth as GB. Be sure user is verified.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could also use brown paper shopping bags or similar paper to wrap the box in if there is sufficient padding/protection inside.
Having seen the tender mercies of FedEx, I wouldn't go that route. It's not particularly frequent, but they've managed to utterly destroy a few good Pelican cases, so I'd want some protection between the factory box and the outer box.

FWIW, I have made outer boxes from other boxes, and FedEx hasn't cared as long as the label was good.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having seen the tender mercies of FedEx, I wouldn't go that route. It's not particularly frequent, but they've managed to utterly destroy a few good Pelican cases, so I'd want some protection between the factory box and the outer box.

FWIW, I have made outer boxes from other boxes, and FedEx hasn't cared as long as the label was good.

Oh I know . . . we've had packages delivered with barely a mark and then others that looked like they were dumped out of the back of a truck and ran over 10 times.

Some of the rifles I've bought have been shipped in the factory box and been fine . . . but I understand it's a risk.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I can understand that. I'm currently on the hunt for a box big enough to hold the factory Remington box inside of it. FedEx says that the box the firearm is shipped in cannot have any labeling on it showing that it is a firearm, so the hunt is on for a large sized rifle box. Aside from that, everything needed to process and ship the order seems easy enough.
Check with gun stores and pawn shops that order long guns. The often come inside of a plain box. Tommy at SSP has helped me out a couple times.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check with gun stores and pawn shops that order long guns. The often come inside of a plain box. Tommy at SSP has helped me out a couple times.
I got the box situation sorted out. All good to go now. Just waiting on USPS to deliver the payment. The money orders were mailed from Massachusetts on Tuesday morning, so hopefully it'll arrive by Saturday. Thanks for all of the help though. It was a hoot calling the gun shop in Mass. earlier today. I wanted to get a copy of their FLL for my records. They are about 20 minutes north of Boston, and the guy on the line had a ridiculously thick accent. He knew I wasn't a local when I called!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone wants to buy your gun and pay via PayPal, tell them no-because you'll lose money on the deal unless they pay more than the price you ask.
Yep. Not a fan for large purchases. Zelle is quite convenient though, and money goes immediately directly into your account with no fees since it works through you bank. With GunBroker though, we both felt it best to use USPS Money Orders. They are trackable, the buyer has protections, etc. I don't mind the wait.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good quality clear packaging tape is your best friend.....use very liberally around corners, edges, wrapping paper, over addresses,... Can;t use too much. It's tough, prevents tears, keeps damaged packages together retaining loose parts within package.

Latest posts

Top Bottom