Glock 20 or Glock 40?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start by thanking everyone for the warm reception and all the info, Ive decided to go with the G20, they seem to be more common which I find confidence in and should also help me find a used one, I was wondering if there were basic things that would be recommended to first time Glock owners (as I will be one) the biggest thing Ive found online is either stippling the frame or getting some type of aftermarket grip for it and a lot of people seem to be 50/50 about changing out the plastic guide rod for a heavier more sturdy one to help with reliability and to put some weight up front but I also feel like reliability might not be an issue since Glocks seem have a reputation of being incredibly reliable.

Mine is stock with the exception of the adjustable rear site which came on the gun along with the original. Like I said I bought an after market barrel that is sitting on the shelf gathering dust!!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all are gonna get me in trouble...

...this thread has me now considering the 10mm, so I'll be following this thread.

@Mad Professor and @Eagle Eye What are your thoughts with regard to having the G40 over the G20? Is the longer barrel a benefit?

Any experience with the G20 SF? Also, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be fine with the G29, so with that in mind, any experience with the SF?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

...this thread has me now considering the 10mm, so I'll be following this thread.

@Mad Professor and @Eagle Eye What are your thoughts with regard to having the G40 over the G20? Is the longer barrel a benefit?

Any experience with the G20 SF? Also, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be fine with the G29, so with that in mind, any experience with the SF?
I have the G20 SF, and you are welcome to shoot it anytime you swing through OKC!!

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Velocity wise, you pick up 20-50 fps with that extra 1.4" of barrel. Sight radius increase by the same. So the velocity isn't even 5%, but the sight radius increases 25%. Depending on the shooter, that might be an advantage. For me the sight radius helps on even 1/2" increments until I get up into the 5" barrel lengths. But I could see an advantage for those that hunt with handguns or regularly shoot in excess of 25 yards. A G40 would be harder for me to deal with in most situations I can think of because of the barrel length. This is based mainly on my experience with the same length 17L. Some have problems with the heavier muzzle. Dealing with it in a holster is difficult as well.

Other than hunting, backpacking/camping protection, and hunting backup. I don't see much application for 10mm. But it is a neat cartridge for the boom factor. I too used to enjoy shooting stout .357 and .44 mag loads. The older I get, not so much. But if I was going to the trails in bear country, I would take my G20 into the sticks.

The Gen 4 G20 has the same size frame as the Gen 3 G20SF. I chose the Gen 4 when I bought one. I like the texture, and mag release better. I also feel the dual rate recoil spring construction works a bit better in the versions I shot back to back. Put a backstrap on the G20.4 and you basically have the length of a G20.3 non-sf. I really don't see an upside to the Gen 3, but others may have a valid reason.

My G29.4 is a hoot to shoot, but I primarily only shoot it with downloaded ammo and a Pearce +2 mag extension.

Both are Fun, but I'll stick to 9mm versions for daily carry.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a Glock 20sf and it was a fun pistol to shoot. My only current 10mm pistol is a S&W 1076 and it is just so much fun to shoot. For range ammo i prefer either the S&B fmj or the Sig Sauer fmj rated at 1250fps out of the muzzle. I can certainly tell when i fire it over any other ammo i have fired so far. I keep thinking on a Glock model 40, sure would be fun at the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom