Glock 20 or Glock 40?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either will make a good pistol. I like long slides personally. I can’t really think of a competition that a 10mm would make a good choice. Either way you probably can’t go wrong.

I use 10mm in GSSF competitions. A 20 in the Heavy Metal division, and a 29 in Major Sub-Compact. the G40 is limited to the “competition” and unlimited divisions and I see no value added using it over a G34.

Outside of that, I’m not aware of many applications for it in competitions. Maybe bowling pins.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I’ll have to give the nod to the G20 since that is what I have and I haven’t even held the 40. I can tell you that I reeeeeeaally like the 20!!! It is my one and only Glock...... but I could see me owning others! Don’t overthink it too much, just get the one that you can find the best deal on. I think that you would really like the 20 though.

JBailey91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to start by thanking everyone for the warm reception and all the info, Ive decided to go with the G20, they seem to be more common which I find confidence in and should also help me find a used one, I was wondering if there were basic things that would be recommended to first time Glock owners (as I will be one) the biggest thing Ive found online is either stippling the frame or getting some type of aftermarket grip for it and a lot of people seem to be 50/50 about changing out the plastic guide rod for a heavier more sturdy one to help with reliability and to put some weight up front but I also feel like reliability might not be an issue since Glocks seem have a reputation of being incredibly reliable.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My advice, for what it's worth, is too leave it stock, shoot it a bunch before you go and make any changes. Lots of good info is available here on OSA to help you out. Welcome to the group, by the way.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome! I've owned a G40 and a G20. Loved them both (but sold both). I have a G29 now. In terms of versatility I would support your decision and go with the 20. However, i would recommend holding both before making the purchase. You may find one feels better in your hand than the other, or you might see your self enjoying one over the other. IMHO the other factors (cost, weight, bullet velocity, etc. etc.) don't matter for your situation.
10mm vs 45? Think hard on ammo availability and cost. I reload which cut the cost a bit.

The only change I would suggest is to add night sights or a fiber optic front sight. Leave the rest stock.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more thing...research the 10mm round. You will see it’s incredibly versatile. You can buy ammo that is like shooting a .40; or you can buy radical ammo from Underwood or Doubletap that will bring down about anything south of Alaska. Check out Sellier and Belot, the 180 gr FMJ is fairly hot and a good range, practice ammo to get the 10 mm experience. You can find it online for right at or just under $15 per box of 50; that puts ammo cost in the same ballpark as 45 ACP. Now. Load some of that almost nuclear rocket fueled stuff from Underwood which runs about $1.00 per round and well, just make darn sure you have a good grip. It puts out almost 2 1/2 times the muzzle energy of a comparable 9mm round. Something like 770 ft lbs out of a G20. Fire off a mag full of that stuff one after the other out of a lightweight polymer Glock and either you will be a 10mm fan based on that or else you’ll have it posted up in the classifieds for sale quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom