Glock 43 Mags vs Mags for the 43X and 48

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why in the world didn’t Glock make it so the 10 round mags for the 43X and 48 would work in the 43? Why? Just doesn’t make sense to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Why in the world didn’t Glock make it so the 10 round mags for the 43X and 48 would work in the 43? Why? Just doesn’t make sense to me...

Short answer...because a single stack ten round mag would have made the grip much longer...The End.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

WTH would you want to limit your two new guns on the market because of something you were already manufacturing? The 43 holds 6 rounds. If you kept that profile you would have a 43x/48 with 8-9 rounds. They made the right move to make the grip larger. So that would have been wasted space if they kept the 43 profile mag. It would have limited the purpose of the 43x/48 only to give the 43 a magazine with a few more rounds. BIG loss for so little gain.

There are a few companies that make aftermarket extensions for a 43 that adds 2 rounds and even one that makes +4.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you compare the 43 and 48 mags side by side, there is extra width in the 48 mags. Not wide enough to be a double stack like the 17/19 but more like a 1 1/2. Just enough to add a few extra rounds and a little width.

I have a 43 and use Pearce +1 extensions on my magazines. Without the extension my little finger hangs off the end of the grip. With the extensions, it’s just right.

When I grip the 48 the length is just right and the width of the grip feels more roundish where the 43 feels square.

When compared with the 48 with the magazines in the guns, the length is almost identical.

The next gun I buy will probably be a 43X. Better grip, same slide length and 10 + 1 capacity.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short answer...because a single stack ten round mag would have made the grip much longer...The End.

Sure. But the 17 mag fits the 19 and 26 and the grip is longer. Still, it was always a point many Glock owners like. The ability to use the longer mag as a back up if you carry a 26 appeals to many. Glock capitalized on that if you recall. Deviating from this capability with the 43, 43X and 48 was deviation from a formerly successful idea. Kinda.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WTH would you want to limit your two new guns on the market because of something you were already manufacturing? The 43 holds 6 rounds. If you kept that profile you would have a 43x/48 with 8-9 rounds. They made the right move to make the grip larger. So that would have been wasted space if they kept the 43 profile mag. It would have limited the purpose of the 43x/48 only to give the 43 a magazine with a few more rounds. BIG loss for so little gain.

There are a few companies that make aftermarket extensions for a 43 that adds 2 rounds and even one that makes +4.

First para makes sense. But...still a change from prior models like the 17 mag fitting in the 19 and 26. But I get it about sales too.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sure. But the 17 mag fits the 19 and 26 and the grip is longer. Still, it was always a point many Glock owners like. The ability to use the longer mag as a back up if you carry a 26 appeals to many. Glock capitalized on that if you recall. Deviating from this capability with the 43, 43X and 48 was deviation from a formerly successful idea. Kinda.

The goal was to get a ten round magazine in a small 9mm to compete with the P365.

If the mag for the 43X and 48 were single stack 10 round mags, the grip for those guns would have had to be much longer. Therefore they are more of a 1.5 stack and that makes them too wide for the 43.

Yes, it would have been nice if the magazines worked in the 43 but to get ten rounds in the desired grip length with the Glock style mag it wasn't possible.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The goal was to get a ten round magazine in a small 9mm to compete with the P365.

If the mag for the 43X and 48 were single stack 10 round mags, the grip for those guns would have had to be much longer. Therefore they are more of a 1.5 stack and that makes them too wide for the 43.

Yes, it would have been nice if the magazines worked in the 43 but to get ten rounds in the desired grip length with the Glock style mag it wasn't possible.

You're right. I know it, but just wanted to whine about it I guess. Now, if the P365 had NOT come out, I betcha Glock woulda made it so the mags were compatible with the existing 43. But it did and they didn't. Regardless, the 48 in particular appeals to me. Guess I should suspend with the whining about the non-mag-compatibility issue and just go buy one of them. For the longest time, many wanted what is essentially a single stack Glock 19, and it appears that the 48 is pretty much just that.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right. I know it, but just wanted to whine about it I guess. Now, if the P365 had NOT come out, I betcha Glock woulda made it so the mags were compatible with the existing 43. But it did and they didn't. Regardless, the 48 in particular appeals to me. Guess I should suspend with the whining about the non-mag-compatibility issue and just go buy one of them. For the longest time, many wanted what is essentially a single stack Glock 19, and it appears that the 48 is pretty much just that.

I need to pick up a 48 also. Considering I already have a holster on order for one. :)

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to pick up a 48 also. Considering I already have a holster on order for one. :)

LOL. If I were to buy new pistols to fill the holsters I already have on hand, just the good ones, I'd have to take out a second mortgage. Still, it's a compelling reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom