Glock Guide Rod & Spring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the range yesterday with a buddy that has a Ruger SR9. Being curious, I shot it. It had quite a bit less recoil than the Glock 19 Gen 2 that I took. The Glock has an unknown amount of rounds through it, while the Ruger had around 200 rds shot.

This got me to thinking about replacing the guide rod spring on my Glock. My question is, "do the stainless rods make much difference compared to the polymer stock rods?" I intend to stay with the stock spring rate of 18lbs. I'd never given the recoil much thought until this comparison test. My accuracy is good with the Glock as it is, just thinking that less recoil would help. Any thoughts on the subject?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the poly rods are a non-issue. I remember on the iraqiveteran melt down video the poly guide rod failed but it was after a ton of rounds in full auto fire. I don't have stainless rods in any if my Glocks.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I replaced the stock poly rod on my Gen2 19 with a tungsten setup years ago. I like it....no problems with it over last 5 years.

Reduced recoil? Dunno. Maybe it helped a bit......probably just me very comfortable shooting it.

I can definitely feel a recoil difference in other pistols - some more, some less. The Glock doesn’t bother me at all.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A metal replacement guide rod in a Glock adds a little more weight to the front end which has a slight effect and reduction on recoil and muzzle flip.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The SR9 is 2oz heavier and most of that is in the slide

A metal replacement guide rod in a Glock adds a little more weight to the front end which has a slight effect and reduction on recoil and muzzle flip.

And that little extra bit of weight in the slide is much more a factor than any miniscule difference that a metal rod is going to make. There are other factors which have to do with recoil though. You can probably research this as well as anyone else can, or you can just go to the range with me as my guest one day and shoot my Glock 29, in 10MM Automatic, with some heavy duty Underwood rounds that have about twice the power in terms of muzzle energy that my Glock 19 has; then shoot the 19. Suddenly, the recoil in the 19 will feel like you are shooting a .22! Seriously; just PM me when ever you would like to test my theory. I like seeing the look of hand gun-happiness on a person's face when they touch off a few rounds of the mighty 10MM. It's a hoot to shoot.

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And that little extra bit of weight in the slide is much more a factor than any miniscule difference that a metal rod is going to make. There are other factors which have to do with recoil though. You can probably research this as well as anyone else can, or you can just to the range with me as my guest one day and shoot my Glock 29, in 10MM Automatic, with some heavy duty Underwood rounds that have about twice the power in terms of muzzle energy that my Glock 19 has; then shoot the 19. Suddenly, the recoil in the 19 will feel like you are shooting a .22! Seriously; just PM me when ever you would like to test my theory. I like seeing the look of hand gun-happiness on a person's face when they touch off a few rounds of the mighty 10MM. It's a hoot to shoot.
I doubt my stubbies could reach the trigger

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And that little extra bit of weight in the slide is much more a factor than any miniscule difference that a metal rod is going to make. There are other factors which have to do with recoil though. You can probably research this as well as anyone else can, or you can just to the range with me as my guest one day and shoot my Glock 29, in 10MM Automatic, with some heavy duty Underwood rounds that have about twice the power in terms of muzzle energy that my Glock 19 has; then shoot the 19. Suddenly, the recoil in the 19 will feel like you are shooting a .22! Seriously; just PM me when ever you would like to test my theory. I like seeing the look of hand gun-happiness on a person's face when they touch off a few rounds of the mighty 10MM. It's a hoot to shoot.

Thanks for the offer, I've never shot a 10mm. When I go to the range, I usually take an assortment with me. Yesterday, I took my Glock 19, Glock 36 (45acp), and a Browning Buckmark .22lr. I usually carry a Glock 26, but I had just put quite a few rounds through it a week or so ago. There is a distinct difference in a .45acp to a 9mm to a .22lr...… I usually start with the larger caliber then move progressively smaller. The .22lr is dead steady after the larger bores. I like to kick it out to 25yds to finish up the time at the range. Don't know if this is 'proper procedure', just how I normally go through the progression.

My 19 was a service weapon before I acquired it. No clue to the amount of rounds through it (a lot is probably as accurate as it's gonna get). After shooting the Ruger, I starting thinking that the 19 might not be in optimal condition.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, I've never shot a 10mm. When I go to the range, I usually take an assortment with me. Yesterday, I took my Glock 19, Glock 36 (45acp), and a Browning Buckmark .22lr. I usually carry a Glock 26, but I had just put quite a few rounds through it a week or so ago. There is a distinct difference in a .45acp to a 9mm to a .22lr...… I usually start with the larger caliber then move progressively smaller. The .22lr is dead steady after the larger bores. I like to kick it out to 25yds to finish up the time at the range. Don't know if this is 'proper procedure', just how I normally go through the progression.

My 19 was a service weapon before I acquired it. No clue to the amount of rounds through it (a lot is probably as accurate as it's gonna get). After shooting the Ruger, I starting thinking that the 19 might not be in optimal condition.
A SR9 is just a smoother shooting gun.... period. Like I said there's more weight in that slide. If your Glock was a prior service pistol, I seriously doubt that is has more than a few thousand rds though it. Cops dont shoot THAT much (most cops anyway). A drop in the bucket for a Glock. Unless your slide is showing serious wear and tear, I wouldn't worry about. It has a cold hammer forged barrel, and slides usually break before the barrel really starts losing accuracy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom