GM transmission lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
GM 8-speed transmission lawsuit granted class action certification

A story on Autoblog about potentially faulty 8-speed automatic transmissions from General Motors in 2019 has, as of the day this was published, 166 comments, mostly from owners of cars and trucks who say they are experiencing "a hesitation, followed by a significant shake, shudder, jerk, clunk, or 'hard shift' when the vehicle's automatic transmission changes gears." At the time, lawyers were seeking statewide classes in at least six states. As of today, the Detroit Free Press reports that a judge has granted class action status to a lawsuit brought by 39 plaintiffs across 26 states covering the transmission issue.

The lawsuit specifically applies to vehicles that are equipped with GM's 8L90 or 8L45 8-speed automatic transmissions made between 2015 and March 1, 2019. Both of these transmissions are similar units, the 8L45 being slightly lighter version used in fewer vehicles than the beefier 8L90, and are designed for front-engine, rear- or all-wheel drive applications. The lawsuit alleges that the erratic transmission behavior makes some vehicles unsafe to drive.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to be GM produced transmissions that all others were judged by. Everyone was trying to put a Turbo 400 behind their Ford or Mopar to get the power to the ground without failure Yes, Ford and Chrysler had some good auto trans. but the TH 400 was used quite a bit at the dragstrip. In the Late 90's Lincoln wanted to use GM's 4 speed transaxle on the 4.6 DOHC Continental, but GM couldn't produce more for Lincoln. As a result the DOHC 4.6 went from 320 HP to 256 HP since Ford's transaxle couldn't handle the torque. When GM produced a 10 Speed Automatic in a joint venture with Ford, ford started using it in all their RWD vehicles. Biggest complaints I have heard on the 10 speed, always hunting for a gear... Very sad...

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am to! I was told I had to change fluid to a synthetic and it has helped. They also told me the wiring harness inside had a break and had to replace it. Oil was about $300 and harness I think was about $1500.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad my Corvette is a 2014 since it was the one year they used the 6-speed automatic for the seventh generation. No worries about the shudder or triple-flush being needed. Hopefully everyone is taken care of with this lawsuit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom