GM transmission lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a lucky owner of one of these sorry transmissions.

I am to! I was told I had to change fluid to a synthetic and it has helped. They also told me the wiring harness inside had a break and had to replace it. Oil was about $300 and harness I think was about $1500.

I have one in my '18 ZR2. Very early in ownership I was on top of this issue and following it on the Colorado Fans forum. I took mine in and got it addressed under two TSB's, using the language suggested at the time to get the work done without cost to me.

So I don't get the shudders or hard shifts many do with this transmission. I got a Trifecta tune that addresses many of the issues with the TCU. Now it hunts gears far less than it did with the OEM TCU programming. Still, it's a compromise on a less than optimal transmission. I still think the TCU sucks pretty bad. On cold start and shifting into Drive, it sometimes takes several seconds for the converter to lock up and get going. It only does it on the first start of the day.

The other issue is very inconsistent trans braking. Sometimes it's fine, other times you can feel it downshift on braking and suddenly there's zero trans braking. That results in needing to apply more braking force than anticipated. Fortunately the OEM pads on the ZR2 are very good and wear like iron apparently. I'm at 36K miles and at my last service they said they're still at 8mm, which shocked me considering how much I have to brake hard (mostly due to Hwy 169 construction zones).

I'm kinda hoping the result of this class action suit is a longer warranty on the transmissions. I pretty much love every other aspect of this truck and plan on keeping it for a long time.

The joint GM/Ford 10 speed is having high failure rates as well. Who knew that Ram would be building the best transmissions now? Their ZF tranny is very robust.

ZF all the autos and Tremec all the manuals. This is the way.

Last edited:

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• 994AAB69-F8FE-4811-A5BD-A3FFC98338AE.jpeg
    994AAB69-F8FE-4811-A5BD-A3FFC98338AE.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same problem on my FIL's transmission, 2018 Colorado. Fortunately we caught it while it was still under warranty and the local dealership did the TSB flush/fluid upgrade and solved the problem. So far.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom