Going through my old collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going through my old collection of baseball cards, considering selling them and stumbled across my 1989 Ken Griffey jr bowman card, supposedly one of the most desirable of his cards, and it is in very good condition. I managed to find it online going for between $4k and 1.8k, but also for 20 bucks in some places. I understand the market has sadly fallen out from under collectible cards, but I would like to sell this card. Anyone know of any shops or people that would be interested in purchasing collections or even single cards? image.jpg

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know exactly zero people buying cards, but at least ten waiting to sell entire collections 'for their kid's college'. I just don't think the market is there.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's an ad that was posted maybe 2 hours ago on facebook in the Choctaw garage sale site that has boxes and boxes of cards from the 80s and 90s. They are asking $70obo. There has to be several thousand cards in the pic.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have collected, traded and sold sports cards and memorabilia since the early 1990s, and here's what I can tell you about the 1989 Bowman Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card:

The card by itself, in good to perfect condition, goes for about $2. Here's a recent sold listing lot of four of his rookie cards that sold for $2.56: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-19...1520202547?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23474ecf33

If the card is graded, meaning it's been mailed to a professional grading company like PSA or BGS, and if the grade is a 10 (gem mint), it'll sell for about $40. Here's a recent sold listing on eBay that sold for $39.99: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-BOWMAN...1405769860?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item35e0dbd484

There are very few sports cards from the 1980s and 1990s that are worth any money. The market was oversaturated and millions upon millions of cards were produced, leaving little-to-no chance for any to be worth any considerable amount of money.

I've got about 20 of those Bowman Griffey Jr. rookie cards, just collecting dust. At one point they were one of the hottest cards ever. Now? Hardly so.

The image you shared is of the Bowman Tiffany, which is much more rare than the average Bowman card. Only 6,000 Tiffany Griffey Jr. rookie cards were printed. The Tiffany sets were printed on high-bright white stock, and have a glossy finish. While impossible, I'd be very excited and shocked as all heck if you have a Bowman Tiffany. If you do, I will help you get it authenticated, graded and sold.

Can you post a picture of the front and back of your actual card?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have collected, traded and sold sports cards and memorabilia since the early 1990s, and here's what I can tell you about the 1989 Bowman Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card:

The card by itself, in good to perfect condition, goes for about $2. Here's a recent sold listing lot of four of his rookie cards that sold for $2.56: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-19...1520202547?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23474ecf33

If the card is graded, meaning it's been mailed to a professional grading company like PSA or BGS, and if the grade is a 10 (gem mint), it'll sell for about $40. Here's a recent sold listing on eBay that sold for $39.99: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-BOWMAN...1405769860?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item35e0dbd484

There are very few sports cards from the 1980s and 1990s that are worth any money. The market was oversaturated and millions upon millions of cards were produced, leaving little-to-no chance for any to be worth any considerable amount of money.

I've got about 20 of those Bowman Griffey Jr. rookie cards, just collecting dust. At one point they were one of the hottest cards ever. Now? Hardly so.

The image you shared is of the Bowman Tiffany, which is much more rare than the average Bowman card. Only 6,000 Tiffany Griffey Jr. rookie cards were printed. The Tiffany sets were printed on high-bright white stock, and have a glossy finish. While impossible, I'd be very excited and shocked as all heck if you have a Bowman Tiffany. If you do, I will help you get it authenticated, graded and sold.

Can you post a picture of the front and back of your actual card?

Breaks my heart that the market has dropped out on these cards, it's one of my fondest childhood memories. I don't think it is a tiffany, which would explain the differences in prices. I didn't know about all that.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of the actual card. To me, looks pretty ordinary, no glassy paper.

View attachment 44626View attachment 44627

Yep, that's just the normal Bowman. Still a classic card in many ways, but there are just so many of them out there.

Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

But if you have any questions on other cards, let me know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom