Going to a safari hunt in South Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This would be true. We went to Zimbabwe many years ago (2000). We ate some of all the animals I killed, with the remainder going to villagers in the area. The 18 1/2 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg was absolutely grueling, AND they lost our luggage! It went from Atlanta to New York. Thank goodness my rifles went to the right place. Congrats! You will love it, in spite of any hardships you might face. Looking forward to the stories and pics. Oh, BTW - yes, the food in camp was top notch! (You ever had warthog pizza?!?!?!?!)

I'm pretty sure that's what Little Caesar's serves every day. lol

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This would be true. We went to Zimbabwe many years ago (2000). We ate some of all the animals I killed, with the remainder going to villagers in the area. The 18 1/2 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg was absolutely grueling, AND they lost our luggage! It went from Atlanta to New York. Thank goodness my rifles went to the right place. Congrats! You will love it, in spite of any hardships you might face. Looking forward to the stories and pics. Oh, BTW - yes, the food in camp was top notch! (You ever had warthog pizza?!?!?!?!)

That plane ride from ATL-JNB is going to really be an experience..lol. I’m going to TRY to sleep through most of it but I’m really worried about them losing my luggage or rifle as well... what animals did you hunt? I’m most excited about a trophy gemsbok. But I’m offered a great deal on a kudu or giraffe as an extra.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck sleeping. I couldn't do it. I think some slept through the entire flight! I hunted cape buffalo, kudu and impala. If I had to opt for one or the other, I would easily take a kudu over a giraffe. I was told by my PH that a large percentage of giraffe are shot out of frustration. They will ruin a plains game hunt as you are trying to stalk for a shot on other game by basically following you and watching the stalk over the tops of the bush.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t really have a desire to hunt stuff I don’t eat, not that I’m against it in any way, I know that if done right it’s actually really good for the conservation. The only unusual animal I can see myself wanting to hunt would be a bottle nose dolphin.

:scratch:
Why in the world would you want to hunt a bottle nose dolphin? Oh, I get it, you want to find out if your Glock really will fire underwater or something?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is very interesting. I can't imagine being anywhere on the ground near that big cat in post #6.

That is one very nice cat. We never saw any big cats while we were in Zim ... heard them at night and saw tracks, but never saw the cats. Our camp was right on the Zambezi River and there were lots of hippos and alligators. We had hippos right outside the windows of our hut every night.

LOKNLOD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to South Africa last summer (well, we went, my wife too). Amazing trip! We were up in the Limpopo area at Stanley Pieterse Safaris, and I would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone else. Accommodations and hunting were top notch.
I ended up with a kudu, gemsbok, blesbok, and impala.

I'd love to go back. Someday...

Attachments

• DSCN0762.JPG
    DSCN0762.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 270

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds awesome.

Always been on my bucket list. I think I'm going to have to cut my list back, though, maybe even eliminate most of it, with the job future. <sigh> Oh well. At least I can hopefully keep the bank and Sallie Mae happy with all the interest they make off me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom