Going to a safari hunt in South Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooseveltrancher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rooseveltrancher,

thank you for sharing your pictures with us, beautiful animals! Glad you and your wife were able to make such a memorable hunt!

I have dreamed many times of going to Africa to hunt for cape buffalo....... maybe one day!
Well sir, life is short - make it happen!
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have dreamed many times of going to Africa to hunt for cape buffalo....... maybe one day!

DO IT! JUST DO IT! I, too, had dreamed of hunting Cape Buffalo ever since I was a young 'un. My wife finally convinced me to JUST DO IT! I am so glad I did! We ain't getting any younger, and tomorrow is not guaranteed!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well guys, I have been invited on 3 different African game hunts, cape buffalo and warthogs and all plains game included - ALL EXPENSE PAID, including air fare! This was 3 offers in the past 10 years. I had built a double rifle in 416 Rigby specifically for hunting in Africa. Getting everything all ready and geared up for the hunt, I had to go see my R/A doctor a couple of weeks before our scheduled departure date. I was telling her about my upcoming hunt, and she just about come unglued! She said I could NOT go to Africa hunting, and said that I went against her orders, chances are, I would not make it back to the states! With the medications I was on at the time, she said even a small cut or worse yet, an infection, could turn deadly. I got "5" different opinions, and they ALL said it would be literally life threatening if I went. So....... I didn't go! I gave the double rifle I built to James, and he, his wife and 2 sons killed a cape buffalo with that rifle! I won't never be able to go, but you guys that do, good for you, and I am proud that you are able to make such a hunt. I can still dream though...

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well guys, I have been invited on 3 different African game hunts, cape buffalo and warthogs and all plains game included - ALL EXPENSE PAID, including air fare! This was 3 offers in the past 10 years. I had built a double rifle in 416 Rigby specifically for hunting in Africa. Getting everything all ready and geared up for the hunt, I had to go see my R/A doctor a couple of weeks before our scheduled departure date. I was telling her about my upcoming hunt, and she just about come unglued! She said I could NOT go to Africa hunting, and said that I went against her orders, chances are, I would not make it back to the states! With the medications I was on at the time, she said even a small cut or worse yet, an infection, could turn deadly. I got "5" different opinions, and they ALL said it would be literally life threatening if I went. So....... I didn't go! I gave the double rifle I built to James, and he, his wife and 2 sons killed a cape buffalo with that rifle! I won't never be able to go, but you guys that do, good for you, and I am proud that you are able to make such a hunt. I can still dream though...

Man, that just ain't right. But, at least you can outfit the folks who do get to go with some fine firearms to take with them. Built a double rifle, huh? I'd love to see it. Got any pics?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The double rifles I make are made from double barrel shotguns. Rifle barrels are added into the shotgun barrels, extractor work is completed, express sights are added and then the long drawn out process of shooting the gun and regulating the barrels until the bullets will consistently strike point of aim at 100 yds...

I don't know where my pictures are, but the "rifle" I had planned on taking to Africa, was built around a Ruger Gold Label, with a 3 leaf express sight...

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A leopard hunt would be some action, suppose to be one of the most challenging. A friend of mine guided a lion hunt last year, I heard the story and saw the video.. let’s just say you don’t “hunt” lions. You encounter them when they’re ready. Lol. Long story about circling & figure eight tracks, then you know your about to meet a lion in person. Haha

Here is his clients lion..

I've known that guy on the left since about 1996.

Latest posts

Top Bottom