Goliath is in town today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whenever I see stuff like this, I remember the pic that I first saw of such work...

www.afn.org__scotsman_photos_empire.state.tower.work.jpg
Oh HELL NO!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a deal on facebook that showed a guy servicing the lights at the top of a 1500' tower somewhere. It was waayyyy up there and he climbed it all from the looks of it. Said the job paid $15,000. Not a bad dayrate.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I had to test out the new cables on the window washer at the BOK in Tulsa which is 52 stories.The outside of the building has tracks in it for the gondola to ride in.About the 40th floor the tracks were crooked and by the time the stop button was pushed we were at close to a 80 degree angle.My boss had brought a big wrench and he hit the rollers on the gondola to set it free.There was several feet of cable let out before it stabilized.The next week in New York city one of the gondolas free fell 27 stories before stopping.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago I had to test out the new cables on the window washer at the BOK in Tulsa which is 52 stories.The outside of the building has tracks in it for the gondola to ride in.About the 40th floor the tracks were crooked and by the time the stop button was pushed we were at close to a 80 degree angle.My boss had brought a big wrench and he hit the rollers on the gondola to set it free.There was several feet of cable let out before it stabilized.The next week in New York city one of the gondolas free fell 27 stories before stopping.

I'd rather be harnessed and hooked up to a tower than that crap. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those tower guys have big kahuna's.
I spent a lot of my time on 500' stacks monitoring and maintaining EPA equipment at the power plant before retiring.
I'm not a fan of heights, so at a 30mph wind those stacks would sway a foot or so at the top.
Not a pleasant experience. I don't miss it.
We did have an elevator to the top and didn't have to climb.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I remember driving past Ft. Sill(Lawton) and seeing at least 3 or so of the Skycrane(Sikorsky CH-54 Tarhe) helicopters on the base. I don't think they are still in military service are they?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I remember driving past Ft. Sill(Lawton) and seeing at least 3 or so of the Skycrane(Sikorsky CH-54 Tarhe) helicopters on the base. I don't think they are still in military service are they?

That particular model appears to have been decommissioned in 1991.

Sikorsky CH-54 Tarhe Flying Crane

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The good news is gravity is still in effect and they all STOP at some point. It's just the sudden stopping at the bottom that creates issues. I'm a height chicken and I sell fall protection gear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom